Issues w/benched pump!!

seancrete

So, I had my p-pump in the shop for some gov repair. Since it was getting a full rebuild and going to be on a test stand I thought I might as well get it maxed out!! I told the tech to max and balance the barrels, set timing to 16*, install a new set of 4k's that I gave him and put in a '0' plate. Oh, and I wanted it to start with a "bump".

That should give a lot of fueling potential, rite? Well, I get the truck back and it's totally castrated!! Lame. Not a bit of smoke. Not that I wanted to black out the whole road, but I was expecting to have to control it with my foot. No rev-gain to speak of. On the good side it is running smoothly and "did" start with a bump.

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I go in to the pump. Here is what I have found. The gov springs had barely one click. No shims under the idle spring. AFC full forward. Plate full forward. They did not change my previous AFC settings which was smoke screw all the way in and star wheel full forward.

I noticed some fuel leaking on the top of the pump. That gets me thinking more. So, I pull one of the barrel nuts off and they are NOT!!! turned to maximum! I'm pretty irritated by now. I go back to the pump shop, the tech gets all offended when I question him. He tells me that is as far as he could get the barrels turned and keep the idle down. The fuel delivery is set at 240cc's. I don't know what he's thinking but the idle was at 850-875 when I got the truck back. I don't like my idle that high so I put 4 clicks on the gov springs and dial the idle down to 'bout 700. and now it has some rev gain but not much smoke to speak of.

Please tell me this guy is of his rocker.

Last edited:
Off his rocker for sure if what you say is fact. Go to a trusted pump person who knows performance. Seth @ DPE earned rights to one of mine after driving a customers he had done. I will definately be sending all pumps to him now. I am very impressed!

I would have sent it off if I hadn't needed it done quick. In hind sight it proly would have been faster and cheaper to send it off.

Do you mean who didn't do the work? Associated Fuel Systems, Atlanta Georgia. There I said it. Is that a bash?

I'm sure they probably did it by the book. We have a local fuel shop that is Bosch certified and all that but when it comes to performance, their idea of 10% over stock and my idea of ragged edge is way different. Now all my Pullin stuff comes from Norteast diesel or scheids

I'm sure they probably did it by the book. We have a local fuel shop that is Bosch certified and all that but when it comes to performance, their idea of 10% over stock and my idea of ragged edge is way different. Now all my Pullin stuff comes from Norteast diesel or scheids

i back this 100% i tried to get a local shop to turn the barrels and ballance it. they quoted me the same crap.

X3 Same thing here. I called 3 local pump places about maxing my pump out, they thought I was crazy. One place wanted to dissassemble and clean the pump before even flowing, they wanted close to 1000 to do that lol

To the OP, that isn't a bash by any means.

Yeah I know its not. :) It's just my DD. Not racin' or pullin'. It's the plate and AFC full forward that's killin' me. I got now were to go, no room to grow!!

How in the world could a benched pump not be perfect?

Garmon is about a hour south of atlanta isn't he?

Just because a guy has a pump stand doesn't mean he can do pumps.

Last edited:
rack plug-yes
afc mods-none yet

If I wanted to turn the barrels by hand I could have done that already. As far as the p&b's it is running smooth. I don't think I could get it that smooth in my driveway. Another pump tech I have talked with said the barrels only give about 10% more fueling and rack movement does a lot more.

So, have any of you adjusted the rack adj. screw? It seems like turning this would allow me to move the afc and plate back and give more adjustment there.

if u want good quality work kevin at northeast is top notch! give him a call and he'll get ya fixed up! 800-588-4199

rack plug-yes
afc mods-none yet

If I wanted to turn the barrels by hand I could have done that already. As far as the p&b's it is running smooth. I don't think I could get it that smooth in my driveway. Another pump tech I have talked with said the barrels only give about 10% more fueling and rack movement does a lot more.

So, have any of you adjusted the rack adj. screw? It seems like turning this would allow me to move the afc and plate back and give more adjustment there.

If you have not done the afc mode, then the rack plug does nothing. Try pulling your plate and mod the afc. I bet you will have all the fuel you need.

Seth @ Diesel Performance Engineering did my pump, although I don't have the motor back together yet I've never heard a single bad word said about his work. All my pumps will go to him in the future....he could have done the work you had done at probably half of what you paid.

Back