Jetta Help

Sled doctor

Hey Guys:

I found this 84 Diesel jetta with quite a bit of work into it. I would post the CL add but don't want to get snatch out from under me!

Heres a list of what the car has on it:

Heres the build List

The Block- hot tanked, cleaned, bored and honed .0020, new intermediate shaft bearings

Rotating assembly-
Crank- forged, polished, balanced,
Rods-forged, polished,balanced, weighed
Pistons-Forged, ceramic coated, dry film lube, balanced,
flywheel-lightened to 8lb. balanced
(all balancing within 1/10 of a gram) better than NASCAR Spec, which is under a gram)

Head-Cleaned, Port and Polished, New bronze valve guides, Stainless Steel valves, radius cut seats, blended, milled, lash adjusted, flow tested

Other upgrades

-36mm oil pump
-Windage Tray
-Spec Stage 2 Clutch
-APR Head Studs
-1.9 MLS HG
-Passenger Performance 2.5 downpipe, into 3 in. exhaust with 4 in. tip, no muffler
-Passenger Performance 3in. Intake Manifold
-GTD "Smoker" Nozzles
-Built and Modified Injection Pump
-EGT gauge
-K24 turbo, rebuilt, ceramic coated in and out, port and polished, wastegate valve ground
-Stock exhaust manifold, ported and polished, and ceramic coated.
-SRT-4 FMIC- available at additional cost
-2.5in intercooler piping
-good german bearings
-New Alt, and Starter
-Relocated Battery to trunk
-New waterpump, timing belt, ac./ belts, inj lines, R32 blue Valve cover,
-NEUspeed 4 point strut tie bar.-available at additional cost
lots more done, have all receipts

He says that he put a new starter on it but now the car wont turn over? he had the started checked out at auto zone and it tested "ok" but he says it he charges the terminals on the starter it just clicks. What do you guys think? he says it will start and run fine if you bump start it...

Thanks for the input

The light flywheel is gonna be a bear around town, easy to bog down, other than that the build specs look pretty good. I would look at it, if the motor does indeed bump start and run fine buy it, the starter could just be weak.

I'm curious about the head. Stainless valve? Huh?
Even if they were available I wouldn't want them in my build.

Then there is the MLS gasket, The 84 was a solid lifter head and the MLS was a hydro gasket, the MLS gasket is hard to get to seal correctly on the solid lifter head. (been there done that).
The internals of the 1.6 are forged from the factory so nothing new there.

Over all it sounds like a good build with just a couple gray area's.
I would like to hear more about the valves and head gasket deal and also who built the pump.

Well it's about time someone who knows more than me showed up :poke:

Ya I know.. :doh:

My office got closed so Ive not been able to get on the computer as often as I would like..

Sled doctor..

Have more info on the build?
I'll help ya if ya want..

Hey guys sorry, i went and looked at the car and almost bought it was was turned off my the fact that i was paying 2200 for a motor, the car was in pretty rough condition, inside was full of **** and dust and dirty, the truck was gutted and had an extra tranny and a few other parts that had proceeded to fill the truck in oil. Plus the rust was getting there on the fenders. I was well worth 2000 bucks but i want a car not just a motor.. here the CL ad, i appreciate the help. he may still have it!

1984 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel

Back