Just got a 2005 Jetta TDI

gneal02

Seminole Hater
Only has 63344 miles on it, so what should I do first off to save myself any future problems? Not looking to add power, just want the best mileage possible with the least amount of problems.

Low miles!

ALWAYS use 505.01 VW spec 5W40 oil. These things go through cams even with that oil, anything else will speed up the process. Check the cam with the timing job(due in 16600 miles)

I thought I read that the 05.5 was the one with the cam problems?

Low miles!

ALWAYS use 505.01 VW spec 5W40 oil. These things go through cams even with that oil, anything else will speed up the process. Check the cam with the timing job(due in 16600 miles)

What brand of oil do you recommend, and is this spec oil easy to find?

Is the 05 an ALH motor?
I don't think AHL motors have cam problems.

Don't know for sure, I'm not picking it up from the dealer until Monday. I didn't really look at that when I was there. From what I've read I think the 2000 to 2005 are the the same engine.

Now that i think about it, I think the 05 was the first year of the PD motor...not sure though.

05 jetta is a BRM motor, they eat cams just like BEW and BHW motors do. It not terrible to do a replacement but its around $600-800 plus timing gear. Get an aftermarket regrind from Frank's TDI's or Colt(order from Colt direct), they fixed the problems with these cams.

PD motors have been around since around 2001 in Europe, they never did fix the cam problem or do any recalls. We got them in 04.

Two good oils I use are Rotella T6 and Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. There are lots of other good oils but the price goes up quite a bit.
You can get the two oils I listed at any walmart or auto parts store, at least around me.

Do you plan on doing any upgrades?

05 jetta is a BRM motor, they eat cams just like BEW and BHW motors do. It not terrible to do a replacement but its around $600-800 plus timing gear. Get an aftermarket regrind from Frank's TDI's or Colt(order from Colt direct), they fixed the problems with these cams.

PD motors have been around since around 2001 in Europe, they never did fix the cam problem or do any recalls. We got them in 04.

Two good oils I use are Rotella T6 and Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. There are lots of other good oils but the price goes up quite a bit.
You can get the two oils I listed at any walmart or auto parts store, at least around me.

Do you plan on doing any upgrades?

Not really just a daily driver I plan to
just get the most mileage out of it as possible. Are there any emissions crap deletes that are easy?

EGR delete is a little bit of a pain to do. the coolant hoses tie together nicely with a 90* elbow.
You'll need a tune to block the EGR codes if you do that. IDParts has downpipes for these now that you can get without a cat in it.

EGR delete is a little bit of a pain to do. the coolant hoses tie together nicely with a 90* elbow.
You'll need a tune to block the EGR codes if you do that. IDParts has downpipes for these now that you can get without a cat in it.

One more thing, do you have an oil and fuel filter recommendation?

How easy is it to load or buy a tune for an 02 TDI Golf? I've never messed with modding a TDI. Only done the EGR delete so far.

I've got mine for sale but might decide to keep it and mod a bit....

Swole, according to my bro you can get a downloader. He had a 99 and needed to send his in for a burn.

Back