just got a 83 300sd any suggestions?

06cumminspower

just got an 1983 mercedes turbo diesel its got the 3.0l 5cylinder with a bosch inline pump. how can i conservatively get a lil more juice out of it while being safe. it also has an EGR should i block that up? also which engine is this i hear talk of om603 or om606.

Block off the EGR if you want, but be sure to just remove the valve unit till you do, that disables it.

In an 83 you have the OM617 engine which is commonly compared to the 12V Cummins, great motor. My 300SD has over 350K on it and still runs like a top.

The guys at Schuman's will help you out anyway they can, and Mr. Henry is the single best source of parts and knowledge on these cars I have found, very good resource.

I have an 85 which is said to be the best year of any of the diesel Mercedes to have. 270K miles and still going strong.

You don't have to remove the EGR to disable it. Just put a BB in the vac line connected to it. Also on top of the inj pump is a flat square piece that has a opaque line to it. That is called the ALDA. It receives boost from the intake manifold and adds fuel as boost increases. In the middle of the ALDA is a round metal sleeve with a black plastic plug in it. I carefully cut this sleeve off. You will find a 10mm nut locking a slotted screw. Loosen the 10mm nut and turn the screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn COUNTER clockwise. This wakes up the engine.

could you show a pic of the alda screw? i am guessing it is the screw and lock nut on the center of the round head facing up on the back of the pump on a square plate with four bolts? there are no god pics of the alda. and also i saw something about a full load fuel adjust ment is that underneath that plate?

Congrats on the purchase of your M.B. I have a 82 240D with 310K on it and have really enjoyed the car. With some maintence these cars hold up really well.

You asked earlier what engine your car has it is the OM617.

X2 Billysgoat the guys on Schuman have been extremely helpful!

Justin

thanks, that is what i was thinking, and the egr head does not have a vaccum line hooked up to it does that mean it is not working and i dont need to worry about it?

whats the fuel mileage like in one of these old cars?? how about the ride quality and comfort of the interior?

Great, Awesome, and Awesome :D

Keeping in mind the odometer doesn't work in mine I know how far it is to work etc and could keep track of the mileage that way. My best estimate was about 26-7MPG running 65-70ish. If you can find one that has a good driver seat spring (they are notorious for breaking on the outside of the seat) the ride quality is flat our great for that old of a car. Interior amenities are way ahead of anything else of the same year, how do two position memory power driver's seats sound? Automatic climate control, bunch of other stuff that's just plain neat.

i completly pulled out the alda screw and didnot notice any performance or low boost smoke difference. Why is that?

I fooled with the alda on mine and really didn't notice much difference either, so don't feel bad. Biggest gain I got from it was the car being a bit peppier, but no huge power boost by any means.

Go on the Schuman site and look for sticky in the performance section on removing the pump fuel limiter, that looked to be the most promising mod out there.

I fooled with the alda on mine and really didn't notice much difference either, so don't feel bad. Biggest gain I got from it was the car being a bit peppier, but no huge power boost by any means.

Go on the Schuman site and look for sticky in the performance section on removing the pump fuel limiter, that looked to be the most promising mod out there.

I went there and clicked on the part containing the 300SD. This is what it said at the top

There have been no posts in the last 100 days in this forum.
Try using the controls below to search for any older posts that may exist.

Then clicked on beginning and it said there are no posts in this forum.

What gives? Or do I have to be a member to see them?

Yeah, you have to be a member to read. Anyway, I read through all that after I read the ALDA thing above. I adjusted it and it gave me a significant amount of power from stock. I also tooled around with the pump for a while and it seems to be A LOT faster now. You just have to tune it by ear.

So I took the car out for another drive today. Actually got it out on a road faster than 50 mph and this thing drives great now. I cant believe how much better it is. I probably just knocked it down to 23 to 25 MPG but it runs like a champ. It used to not be able to get out of its own way. Thanks for the website Billy.

Turn the delivery valve holder clockwise. Stretch the fuel pressure regulator spring and take out the rack limiter.

Mine puts 150hp to the wheels and still gets 26mpg average. I drive it everyday and the ride quality is fantastic. Th handling is kind of mushy but then again it isn't a sports car but despite the body roll and float it will stick to the road surprisingly well. I like keeping up with the EVO's and WRX's on these crooked ass roads.:rockwoot:

tell me you are joking on the keeping up with the EVOs and WRXs... I'd have to see it with my own eyes beigns they are awd and have twice the power or more as what you just posted.

regardless, I'd like to have one of these beasts as a DD/backup ride.

C-ya

Back