just got her fired up NEED HELP

maxspl153

knuckle buster
so I put in new DV's springs,govs, and so forth . re adjusted timing and I gots me a little problem .. im going to try and post the video so you guys can see what the heck is goin on here , but TONS of smoke , missing , sputtering . not what I really wanted to see after firing it up for the first time . what do you guys think ?? ive already got it back in the garage , but I don't think im gunna try and do any more tonight . im too frustrated...

20130414_184251_zpsc5eef077.mp4 Video by maxspl153 | Photobucket

too far retarded ?? its not as hard to crank over as before . gatta give it a little throttle to start , and it rolls very easy compared to before where the starter actually had to work . which is why I thought retarded.. is that right? and thank you for the quick responses . I may just go back out there in a bit . im cooled off since I shot the video :)

ok guys its confirmed , timing slipped .. thanks for the advice! I decided to gauge it before I re-timed it , hows 31* ATDC so I pulled the truck down a little more to open it all up so I knew for sure there wouldn't be any mistakes and to make it a little easier to do

[ame]http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/maxspl153/20130415_213106_zpsfc599335.jpg[/ame]

[ame]http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/maxspl153/20130415_213051_zps63b0bd1e.jpg[/ame]

WAY easier to work on and only took about 45 mins. to pull down that far . well worth the time in my opinion . shes set at 18.5* now and RIPS through the gears :) thanks again guys and anyone reading this I HIGHLY recommend pulling the intercooler and radiator to time the truck it makes it sooooooooo much easier

Last edited:
20130415_213106_zpsfc599335.jpg.html

20130415_213051_zps63b0bd1e.jpg.html

I HIGHLY recommend pulling the intercooler and radiator to time the truck it makes it sooooooooo much easier

Ugh, thats way too much work. Especially if you're working on a hot engine. Get a turning tool for the pump, will save much time and aggravation without taking the truck apart that much.

I find it annoying having to take the tps bracket off the side of the pump to get to the cam pin.

Ugh, thats way too much work. Especially if you're working on a hot engine. Get a turning tool for the pump, will save much time and aggravation without taking the truck apart that much.

is there anyone that sells a tool to turn just the pump? or have to be homemade?

I find it annoying having to take the tps bracket off the side of the pump to get to the cam pin.

Mark the balancer. I scribe a line on the edge of the ESS for TDC. Works great for my timing light too. Never used the cam pin.

is there anyone that sells a tool to turn just the pump? or have to be homemade?

Make it. Use a pump gear nut, weld another smaller nut to it that you can put a jam bolt in the end. Screw it on the end of the shaft, tighten the jam bolt, and you can turn the pump shaft with a wrench. I've posted pictures of the one we made a while back.

Back