K&N killing motors?

CUMMINSTD

New Ride, Poor Wallet :/
Ok I'm kinda stealing this off of cummins forum but they have a thread that says dodge won't warranty a truck because the k&n filter. Ive heard a lot of rumors about this in the past about the k&n but not about any other brand intake. I have an airaid intake and it actually uses a k&n filter on it and ive never heard anything about them. I'm not sure about any of the other brands but I'm sure others use a k&n or something simular to it. Is there really anything bad with them or is it just opinions that get blown out of proportion. What's yalls opinion on this? Any pros or cons on the aftermarket intakes on the market?

Some dealers are douche bags and will do and say anything to get out of actually having to work. The only thing I have ever seen a K&N or anyother filter like it do is clog up the MASS sensor with oil and dirt causing some runnability issues. So far as no warrenty whatsoever, dunno...

chrysler techs are instructed to look for "dust out" conditions/wear when there is internal engine damage, we look for factory or aftermarket filters that are excessively dirty, dirt in the inlet tube, erroded fins on the compressor wheel, dirt in the charge air system, and most importantly the hone/cross hatch marks on the cylinder walls...

it is not the dealerships causing this stinginess, it is cummins review and not paying on warranty claims due to "owner neglect". then the dealers end up eating thousands of dollars in repairs.

I know of a lot of people who have this air filter concern. So for me and who all else that might be concerned, is there any negative effect to running a k&n or any oiled filter besides the buildup on sensors? What causes any kind of buildup inside the intake? Is it a mix of dust and oil and if it is would what gets past an oiled filter cause any kind of damage?

Just to throw this in there ... I have had a K&N FIPK for over 100,000 and had ZERO Issues ... I never really ran it in dusty construction sites and things like that but when ever i pulled into races it was always dusty ... I got tired of the filter getting cloged up so i bought another Cone Filter and installed the Outerwear cover over it ... Since that, no cloging issues ... Especially keeping the summer time bugs out of it ... $.02

I have ran K&N filters on my trucks for along time with out and filter related issues. I had taken my truck back to the dealer years ago when it was still half ways stock and they never said a thing about it. But I have a friend with a Ford and he claims they voided his warranty because of an aftermarket air filter on it.

Alot of it depends on the dealer. Remember a dealer can make more money on a non warranty repair than a warranty repair.

Seen a few engines that have been "Dusted" by running thin cone style filters. I have a prefilter for mine, seems to do the trick.

tst always claimed that the red filter cleaner would trash map sensors? thats why they dont carry cold air intakes

I've seen the concerns about using K&N filters on our trucks so, at an event K&N was there and I asked about it. I've also used K&N for a long time in many rides ( just not diesels )

He said the biggest problem is not all their filters are able to flow what a diesel requires. People will go out and put them on their trucks without looking into their flow rate. Only certain filters they sell flow enough for our trucks. Get one that doesn't and you can suck the media through the mesh and because it has to suck so hard with a low flow filter, it pulls dirt through.

I don't see how dealers can deny warranties over a filter. They can't dictate to you what filter you have to use. Now, if they see a filter that's never had maintenance on it... I can't blame them. As a vehicle owner it is our responsibility to keep things maintained. But to just say... oh, you have a K&N or Wix or what ever so you're denied is bull IMO.

I've seen the concerns about using K&N filters on our trucks so, at an event K&N was there and I asked about it. I've also used K&N for a long time in many rides ( just not diesels )

He said the biggest problem is not all their filters are able to flow what a diesel requires. People will go out and put them on their trucks without looking into their flow rate. Only certain filters they sell flow enough for our trucks. Get one that doesn't and you can suck the media through the mesh and because it has to suck so hard with a low flow filter, it pulls dirt through.

I don't see how dealers can deny warranties over a filter. They can't dictate to you what filter you have to use. Now, if they see a filter that's never had maintenance on it... I can't blame them. As a vehicle owner it is our responsibility to keep things maintained. But to just say... oh, you have a K&N or Wix or what ever so you're denied is bull IMO.

On the flow rate you were talking about how do you know what flow rate your truck needs. What filter is the best for all of us with these turned up diesel's?

well, ill be the end all on this lil thread. i was having trans shifting issues and after the third time they didnt fix it, the rep called me and told me they were denying my warranty bc of my k&n. said that it let the motor make too much power and that broke my tranny

ya its complete bs. but yes they can and will do it.

On the flow rate you were talking about how do you know what flow rate your truck needs. What filter is the best for all of us with these turned up diesel's?

you can get an idea by the turbos you have. If you can find out it's/their CFM's that will give you an idea of what your filter should flow. For comparison which I haven't done, go to a diesel filter manufacturers website and look for flow rates. Compare those to what most K&N's will do.

THE MOSS MAGNA ACT WAS DONE FOR REASONS SICH AS THIS BUT LOOK AT YOU ORIGNAL PAPER WORK FROM DEALER THEY HAVE CLAUSE THAT SAY IF ANY AFTER MARKET PARTS ARE FOUND ON TRUCK THEY DEEM THE RIGHT TO VOID WARRENTY IF IT IS NOT IN YOUR PAPERWORK GET A LAWER AND YOU WILL WIN HAD SAME THING WITH ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS AND HE WON AND THEY PUT A NEW MOTOR IN HIS TRUCK:kick:

i put a k-n cold air intake on my truck at like 70,000 miles it has 144,000 now never an issuse, put a drop in my dads duramax like 3yrs ago i clean it when its needed use the same k-n cleaner and oil on both. He has never had a problem with an map sensor or what not. I think it may be from people getting in a hurry and over oiling them

Back