K31 Hybrid

MurdaManDiesels

im thinkin about runnin a K31 Hybrid, what would be a good set of sticks to run with this turbo? any input on the k31 would be great!
thanks, will

I run the A5K non waste gated which is K31 based and love it. I have the .85 housing. It spools great and can definatly drive around the lag, and i have a auto. I do run a cam and the turbo is on a 2nd gen manifold so spool is slightly better. My 90hp stix run very cool. But have been told, somewhere in the 150hp range is best for a street truck and 180's for track. It will smoke though!
Are you considering Industrials 71mm?

I would think a k31 might be a tad too big for a VP truck as a single not so much for a CR.

I have mike garofalos old k31/s400 hybrid and I drive it everyday on the street, with 4.10s and a stock head and cam but with ii dragon flows which are 175hp on my 12v and the lag isn't too bad, it spools pretty good even with a tight converter. I'm adding ddp delivery valves this weekend.

ive thought alot about the silver bullet 66 in the past and most people said get it... but alot of people siad that there are alot better turbos out there for ALOT less money...

i have a k31 turbo with a 71 inducer comp wheel and 1.28 ar with a wastegated housing for sale right now for 850 brand new in the box.

I would suggest the smallest housing and you are going to need more fuel.

P-pump comparisons and CR comparisons are nice but not too accurate compared to a VP truck. Also I think Mike's old turbo was an s400 with a k31 wheel...not really a k31. Ron - you can correct me if I'm wrong.

heres the quote from his for sale ad.
Originally Posted by zstroken
K31 compressor with an s400 turbine?

Yes sir

Well jared, I don't know. I rebuilt alot of turbos and I had alot apart. LOL Maybe something with the compressor housing. Most k31 hybrids have a cnc'd billet compressor wheel, so I'm assuming that it may be a s400 compressor design. S400's have a completely different style shaft, seal, thrust, and exhaust housing style and would never be able to me used in a k31 frame. An s400 shaft dwarfs a k31 shaft. But I have seen more s400's break than I have k31's. LOL

An s400 shaft dwarfs a k31 shaft. But I have seen more s400's break than I have k31's. LOL

that's because when you let off it quickly and the turbo barks do to the air spinning the turbo backwards the extra weight of the shaft causes more stress.

who made up that theory?

if thats the case how come HX40's break more than HX35's...the HX-35 shaft is bigger than the 40...but I know people bark the hell out of stock 35's all the time...yet its the HX-40's that are the ones that always break.

who made up that theory?

if thats the case how come HX40's break more than HX35's...the HX-35 shaft is bigger than the 40...but I know people bark the hell out of stock 35's all the time...yet its the HX-40's that are the ones that always break.

TJ that's because the wheel is larger on the 40 than the 35, therefore when the turbo is barked the torque on the shaft is much greater. if the wheels are the same size then the weight of the shaft will come into play.
A bigger shaft is not always better.

Back