KDP missing

jknowles4

I got a new to me truck and was going to tab the KDP this weekend. When I got in there i noticed the KDP is gone. The case is cracked on the top but has been epoxied to keep it from leaking. All the gears look fine and the truck runs well with no noticeable signs of a problem. I have read and read and get many opinions on whether to install a new pin or not. What is you guys opinion?? I can go to cummins tomorrow and get a pin but didn't know if it was really needed. Thanks!!

I would put a pin in it. I believe it helps support the cover. I would use some green lock tight . Then put a tab over it

Well if your okay with the crack in your case go get a pin, tab it and run it. I would get annoyed and replace the timing case, just cause little quirks like that stay on my mind and annoy me until I fix them

The pin is to align the the housing during assembly, that is its only function. The pin does not support the housing.

I'm not to worried about the crack, it's just an old work truck but I just wondered if the pin served a purpose after assembly. Once again I am getting conflicting ideas. I think I will just pin and tab it and be done. Thanks for the help guys!!

The pin is to align the the housing during assembly, that is its only function. The pin does not support the housing.

Its to keep its alignment though out its life. Bolts loosen up, things move, especially on a vibrating diesel engine. If that case moves, your contact between the pump and cam gears goes out the window.

Back