Keep it or Sell it?

TJSHOTROD

I have a built 01 quad cab that I have had for 10 years that I am thinking of selling. I really have the itch for a new truck but I cant decide what to do. It has some maintance issues I need to tackle and I want to paint it and drop about 6-7k on upgrades and cosmetics to make it cool to me again. I really dont race or pull it anymore. If I buy a new truck I will want to lift it and do a few mods just not as extreme as my truck now. So what are your guys thoughts?

4th gens are nice but 24 valves are always fun to have! Maybe swole can talk you in to it?

I had the same dilemma about my 12v. It needs a pile of work, and I was looking at a 2012 to replace it as a daily driver. Couldn't do it. The test drive really didn't make me want it anymore than it did just looking at it on the lot. I jumped back in the '98 and drove home. Passing the first vehicle on the highway put the smile back on my face that the 2012 never did. I know, its apples to oranges to compare a modified 12v to a dead stock 2012. Plus, being able to fix just about everything on the 12v with basic hand tools is a definite leg up.

Before I made my decision to not buy the 2012, I talked to a couple friends who traded off their older rides for the new one. Every one of them said they wish they could've kept them instead.

Last edited:
I am kind of in the same dilemma. I would love a new truck, but I don't want to pay the note, especially with the economy in the tubes. I believe I will do some major upgrades and drive the 12 valve til the wheels fall off. Maintenance cost is very small, insurance isn't bad, mileage is better than any new truck. If I get a nick in the windshield or a ding on the door, its not really a big deal.

I will agree that even with the H&S, Exhaust, & Deletes, My '12 doesn't put the smile on my face like my '07 or my old '05 did / does.....

I just love the comfort, ride, creature comforts, etc. of the new trucks..

Keep it and get a new on for DD if you can...

I will agree that even with the H&S, Exhaust, & Deletes, My '12 doesn't put the smile on my face like my '07 or my old '05 did / does.....

I just love the comfort, ride, creature comforts, etc. of the new trucks..

Keep it and get a new on for DD if you can...

I could keep both but I know if I have a new one I would never drive the old one.

I'm in the same boat. I have a bit of an extra dilemma as I currently have a regular cab and want a crew cab long bed (planning ahead for FUTURE family...) I get a Ram discount through work, but I dont know how much its good for. I am thinking in the spring if things are still good I will go ahead and get one, just got to make sure I dont get laid off this winter. I am also trying to beat the DEF game. I know it can be deleted by the aftermarket, but dont want the hassle. Anybody know for sure when pickups are getting it? I have been getting conflicting stories...

Ford and GM are already using DEF, your only hope is a 2012 Dodge, and you had better hurry, because it's coming to the Ram in '13

Sell it. While the new trucks are expensive, the creature comforts and driveability is so nice. Not to mention that if/when it breaks, you take it to the dealer and hand them the keys and tell them don't call until it's fixed. I miss my old blue dodge every day of my life and nothing will replace it. But I could not justify sinking even more money in to a 10yr old truck just to keep it on the road and reliable with the driving I do.

Sell it. While the new trucks are expensive, the creature comforts and driveability is so nice. Not to mention that if/when it breaks, you take it to the dealer and hand them the keys and tell them don't call until it's fixed. I miss my old blue dodge every day of my life and nothing will replace it. But I could not justify sinking even more money in to a 10yr old truck just to keep it on the road and reliable with the driving I do.

Thats all well and good if you have warranty. I can guarantee mine won't have warranty very long. And when it goes in for something stupid for weeks at a time, thats down time I can't afford.

Thats all well and good if you have warranty. I can guarantee mine won't have warranty very long. And when it goes in for something stupid for weeks at a time, thats down time I can't afford.

That my problem I don't think I would leave it stock long enough to not void the warranty.

Build it back stronger and whoop Dillehay. He is getting big for his Ford-ass britches

I was facing the same decision a couple of years ago. My 95 was rusting off the frame and just about everything needed repalcing. I wanted a new one, but I wanted a RCLB with all the options. They don't make those anymore!!! I couldn't see putting over 50K in something that wasn't what I wanted.

Ended up pulling the 95 off the frame and doing a complete rebuild. Custom paint, custom leather interior, everything top notch. It was expensive, but still only about half what a new one is. It was a lot of hours, and I'm not sure that I would do it again. But I'm glad that I did this time.

Back