Keeps slipping timing..

weazel

5th gear killer
well, after about three good hard runs today playing around with the truck, she started spitting and sputtering again.. this is the third time it has slipped timing on me. do any of you guys have any suggestions as to how to keep this thing from slipping timing? ive tried super torquing it, but just stripped threads on the nut, and tried using a torque wrench, but still slipped a little... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Take the pump off the truck and lap the gear to the shaft with valve lapping compound. I ran a 13mm this way and it never slipped.

Main option - adjustable timing gear

If your a cheap ars take the cover off, clean the pump shaft and gear really good with brake clean. Rough up the surfaces with sand paper, clean again, assemble. Havent had one slip that I know of that way but I may just be lucky.

I would never use loctight personally, the gear is already on there pretty good, try pulling it off when its loctighted on.

Main option - adjustable timing gear

If your a cheap ars take the cover off, clean the pump shaft and gear really good with brake clean. Rough up the surfaces with sand paper, clean again, assemble. Havent had one slip that I know of that way but I may just be lucky.

I would never use loctight personally, the gear is already on there pretty good, try pulling it off when its loctighted on.

The sand paper trick is what I have used several times with no issues. I just make sure the scuffing is in line with the shaft.

have you tried a new lock washer? I had problems and a new lock washer fixed it. of course the adjustable gear with the key in the shaft is best.

Make sure to clean the pump shaft as good as you can. Use a new lock washer. Torque in steps 75, 125, and 175. Never had any trouble like this.

have you tried a new lock washer? I had problems and a new lock washer fixed it. of course the adjustable gear with the key in the shaft is best.

Yep, I always put new lock washers on trucks that have timing issues. I only do 150ft pounds though, 200 is pushing it. I've only slipped timing when I had an old lock washer.

Back