Killer B with a 66

Cam73

Hey guys-
Trying to figure out what route to take with the truck. Its turning out to be a cost vs. resources thing as I'd like to build a set of twins (s300/400) but won't be able to have the truck off the road for awhile as its my DD/tool hauler.

Buying a full twin set is out of the budget and going with a 2/3 type kit with a 35/3b might leave something to be desired with out sinking some cash into the 35. I know its a proven set but I'd rather spend the funds else where

Truck is a 97 12v with a 5 speed, head is o-ringed and some other Fletcher stuff to help take a few more pounds of boost, enough clutch to hold 500-550hp (plans to drive through it) and 37" tires with 3.5 gears. No plans to change gears unless I stumble on some stock take outs. It is a daily driver for the next year or so and only tows a small enclosed or travel trailer a few times a year. Looking at the 66 to try and turn some good numbers.

So..
Anyone run a Diesel Pros Killer B with a 66 charger? What turbine wheel and housing? What kind of fueling and timing? How does it DD/tow light? Any surge or conditions that require "driving around?"

I've been subjected to Fletcher's big power/no frills MO and like it, however since the turbo in mind is a large "lethargic" single I'm not entirely sure a plain factory offering with satisfy but I'm not real familiar with them either.

Also, the cam may not be limited to the Killer B if he's got something else that will work better, its just the grind we discussed in the past. Point being a cam with aid in spool up/egts

I'm open to suggestions, I've only changed my plan every other day for the last few months, one more time won't hurt. Thanks

Last edited:
A fun Turbo on a Hot 5-speed 12V would be along the lines of a SPS62 without being laggy, but still support a toasty 550 rwhp... If decide not to do twins...

my brother runs a SPS 62 on his 96 ext cab dually with a 5 speed and loves it. he runs 16.5*, 150hp sticks, 100 plate, and a 3K GSK. he loves how the truck drives. and he can't get the EGT's past 1200* while towing. it spools up prety wuick too and only pulls about 5lbs of boost down the hughway at 70mph. he also has 3.55 gears.

I ran a 66/71/14 on my white 5spd 94 12v with one of our smaller drop in cams and it wasn't laggy at all, spool up was quick and was a blast to drive.

Okay Okay, they are radials and sit around 36" new and don't have much left, so maybe 35s" :hehe: Like I said, I'd be all for a gear change if I came across some stock take outs or when I finally break down and get sick of spinning one tire. I've never rode in a real high power fast spooling truck in fear of never wanting to drive mine again so I really have no basis for comparison.

I think I may have found a 66 that fits the budget, now if I could get Bill to talk about cams and not a goat yelling like a man to an usher song I'll be set hahaha.

My plans are to run Fletcher's Killer B with the 66 also.. Not due completely to the cost of twins, but I just don't like the "clutter" they add to the engine bay. So I've gotta be real happy with how it drives with a single. Bill is certain I will like the way it spools even with that big single. But I am also running 33's with 4.10's. I can't see how any combo will work well while you still have the 37's and 3.54's.

My plans are to run Fletcher's Killer B with the 66 also.. Not due completely to the cost of twins, but I just don't like the "clutter" they add to the engine bay. So I've gotta be real happy with how it drives with a single. Bill is certain I will like the way it spools even with that big single. But I am also running 33's with 4.10's. I can't see how any combo will work well while you still have the 37's and 3.54's.

I know it sounds stupid, but it just doesn't bother me all that much.

You should give me a shout when your truck is ready. I'm near by, maybe at one of the events or something I can go for a ride.

Its gonna be a slow process for me until the truck is right where I want it. But if gears it was it takes..

I may be in the market for a cam soon due to cam gear walk off concerns. If all this driveability stuff is true perhaps I will send the 62 in for the 66 upgrade or bigger if available. I have a 68mm turbine and 13mm stainless housing so I would imagine i'd be ahead of the game regarding spool in comparison to the bullet.

Back