kingpin d60 vs. ball joint d60??

86Chummins

im swapping a cummins into my chevy and want to run a ford dana 60. i dont have experience with the 99-03 d60 ball joint axles but i can get one cheap and was wondering if i should just go with a king pin 60 from a 78-79. i know the ball joints are pricey but if its more reliable i wouldnt mind. any info would be great thanks

The problem with the newer Dana's out of the superduty is they are a metric bolt pattern. and make shure if it is out of a newer truck it Is not a dana 50 they used then for a year or two.i personally think a kingpin is a lot stronger. But they all have there good points and bad points.

80 through 85 isn't a solid axle, even in a 350, my 86 is a king pin front, 87 through 97 I believe to be all ball joint.

Last edited:
The duallys are solid. King pin until 93.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Let me rephrase that, all of the duallys are straight axle and you just need to change the outers to make them single wheel. All of the straight axles, drw or srw are King pin until 93. I'd even rather have a ball joint 60 from 93-98 than any sd axle.

stop the bad info!
kingpins for the ford d60 stopped in 1991
1992-1997 they were bj standard 8 x 6.5 pattern
99-04 bj with unitbearings and metric bolt pattern

92-97 knuckles will fit into a 99-04 axle though.

if you can get the axle for less than $300 go for it

Last edited:
The dually 60's were King pin until at least 93.

King pins themselves are stronger than ball joints, but the weak point becomes the knuckle since there's less material on the knuckle. Ball joint axles are easier to find and cheaper. I'd find a 78-79 personally.

The new Ferd Superduty axles have a 8x170mm bolt pattern, which the hub and rotor can be redrilled to 8x6.5" (happens everyday) but the biggest issue is the differential itself is extremely close to the DS inner C. This causes fitment issues with most builds. I've built a few rigs with these axles and they don't leave any room for a leaf perch or coil bucket, so you're really limited to air shocks or coil overs. Also the newest style D60 from the Superduties are some pretty seriously built axles: Very large inner C's, large knuckles, big brakes, and big hubs.

Really this all comes down to what you can fit, how you're fitting it, and availability/cost.

PM me if you have any questions, I build a lot of suspensions.

I'd go for the ball joint 60. There is a reason they sell 10x more aftermarket knuckles for king pin axles, because the knuckles are weaker. Under no normal circumstance will it ever make a difference so I wouldn't be worried about the strength difference. The superduty knuckles are pretty serious and you can get unit bearings that are 8x6.5 so that's not a big issue, then just drill the rotors and you're set. King pin axles require more maintenance than ball joint axles too.

time for rockwell top loaders..
and i would go for ball joint axles
as it has been previously said they are easier to maintain and stronger overall.
plus they are easier to find performance and stock parts for

you are forgetting one small problem the ford axle has wider wider spaced spring mounts on the axle... center pins are chevy 32in compared to ford 37in

thanks for all the info guys!!!! i am running a 48re and dodge tcase so a ds drop is a must. thats why i am thinking for axle. so the recommended axle to use is a 92-97 bj axle? it is a dually btw.

Id use a 99-04 super duty axle with 97 or older outer knuckles. that's what I got under my dodge. Bigger axle tube on the Super duty axles too!

Dynatrac balljoints are pricey but well worth it and rebuildable,have 2 sets and both are over 100k with no measurable wear.99-04 axles are fairly cheap,spend the money on upgraded balljoints and a free-spin bearing conversion

Back