KKK turbo K29?

AsTroSS

problems start @80 psi
I rescued the KKK K29 turbo from scrap metal.

Turbo itself look almost new, only water damage and bit corrosion on exhaust housing.

It's originally from Volvo Penta D9 marine engine, max output 425hp.

It have 60/89 mm impeller and 82/69 wheel.

Exhaust housing is twinscroll T4 and 14cm with wastegate.

Have somebody ever tried to use similar in 12v Cummins?

Picture 1

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
I do not when or how the water entered to exhaust, but leaking wastegate saved the turbo

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
The K29 turbine is 71/82mm, but that has a similar compressor side to the K27 being 60/84mm.

Thanks Weston, but the turbine is 69/82mm

The exhaust housing might be some special, because it have casted Volvo at other side, same like at compressor housing

Do you recommend to test on 12V or should I use it as paper weight? :lolly:

That compressor side with the smaller K27 turbine side is a great replacement for an HX35, but would be a bit small for the larger turbine. The K29 is very close in size to the HX52, as it should be since they are both used in Volvo applications. The K29 variation that BW sells actually uses the same 71/94mm compressor as the K31.

Thanks
I will try to use it, free turbo is always good turbo :lolly:

I have the same turbo with a 12cm housing. Going to try it on a 12v ve motor. Turbine is probably to big but as you said free new turbo is a good turbo. Have a k31 with the billet 71/94mm k29 comp wheel Smokem mentioned as well. And a couple spare billet wheels, thought about fitting one to the k29 but dont have enough motor for it anyway.

Are you guys referring to a different K31 than the 172743 for the Detroit 60 Series? I had one, same as ATS uses for the A5K and it had a billet 71/100mm compressor...not 94mm

There is a K29 with the 94mm wheel, it is also used on a MAN truck engine turbo in a k31 frame. 85/75 turbine from memory. Atleast the one in my shed is those sizes

Back