Land speed racing.

VMAX

Just curious how many have or plan to race land speed with a diesel? I know of a 6.5 chevy and Kats truck. I am considering the Texas Mile in March.

Gear change, water injection, tire change and two pairs of underwear?......... LOL

Keep EGT as low as possible...1200 deg if possible...also oil and water temps as low as possible! Most people I have talked to that have went land speed racing have blown up their first time! I would pull a lot of fuel out for your first run.

Texas mile is essentially a 25 second drag pass. Most cars can do it as long as they are not on ragged edge, mathematically gear your truck for you target mph.... maybe a little past that. Keep it low to ground. Heavy is ok, weight is free downforce. Try to keep air from going through vdhicle. Around is much better.... and good wheel bearings, tires and brakes are a must.
I haven't actually raced, but I have attended the last 6 events and helped out a few guys quite a bit.
Mike woods has done it, but his car is a freak. With awesome airflow through the engine.
Also possibly build some sort of air dam under front bumper to keep air out.... let it touch the ground, maybe a wing of sorts go keep back tires down.... if it works out... we will see you there!

also,your engine bay is essentially a giant air pocket. you need to let prssure leve there as soon as possible, as well as limiting airflow in. but that is hard to do with air/air intercoolers. and raising your hood up at rear doesnt help either, its just a giant high pressure area too. vents/louvres in hood as well as taping off the cowl are the best bets. tape or block the front of the grill off, flat spots are better than pockets.

keep a clooose eye on engine temps as well, not just egts. spray water on your radiator if you really need to, as well as lots of water to keep your boost cool with a partially blocked off intercooler.

start at "low boost" and turn it up from there.

it is ok if your front air dam is aluminum or plastic and drags the ground (or is about 1/4 inch off of it), it will self clearance on its way down track. everything out there is VERY smooth, so there is little jouncing or bouncing that occurrs.

Last edited:
also,your engine bay is essentially a giant air pocket. you need to let prssure leve there as soon as possible, as well as limiting airflow in. but that is hard to do with air/air intercoolers. and raising your hood up at rear doesnt help either, its just a giant high pressure area too. vents/louvres in hood as well as taping off the cowl are the best bets. tape or block the front of the grill off, flat spots are better than pockets.

keep a clooose eye on engine temps as well, not just egts. spray water on your radiator if you really need to, as well as lots of water to keep your boost cool with a partially blocked off intercooler.

start at "low boost" and turn it up from there.

it is ok if your front air dam is aluminum or plastic and drags the ground (or is about 1/4 inch off of it), it will self clearance on its way down track. everything out there is VERY smooth, so there is little jouncing or bouncing that occurrs.

Would'nt the cowl hood be a pressure release for the trapped air under the hood? Not gonna try to push it if I even do the race just make it to the end without blowing crap up. Truck did 178 mph on the dyno with 3:55 rear end. Not sure if it can make that speed in the mile or not.

Base of windshield is a high pressure area at speed, thus the invention of cowl induction

i have the truck sittin in the garage, just haven't got back to the mile to run it. it is a lot of fun.

eh, think about goin out there to race yourself. there will always be faster cars... always. and more safety is never a bad thing.

at Texas mile, i have watched a truck with a $30,000 paintjob, a 1,800 hp pro mod engine and a fantastic roll cage cartwheel at 140ish mph, and a Lamborghini gallardo kartwheel at 235. both drivers walked away. its better to be too safe than sorry. but i am sure you know that from your experience.

Yea my only goals would be, learn something, have fun, be safe and drive to the trailer.

The cart wheels tend to push me away. Maybe I should watch an event 1st LOL.

Guess you are referring to my wreck at the traps? That is one of the few experiences I have around here that most don't.

no, not any experience wrecking, just the many, many trips down the track you have made, along with tech involved everytime you go racing.

those are great goals to have. i have watched several events now, but dollars for my projects keep disappearing, so i havent been able to race... yet.

if you do go, GO ON FRIDAY, race on friday, you can make as many passes as you want, the lines are very slender. saturday and sunday are jam packed with about 3 hour wait times between passes.

i went many years ago, i think the second time they held it. i had my little short bed twin turbo truck, but not enough gear to make anything really good. i had it to 145 a couple of different times but it didn't really have anymore. so we just loaded up and went down there to check it out. sat in lawn chairs and watched all day, had a blast.
i have a 95 with a us gear od unit behind the 47rh sittin in the shop. just havent got off my butt ot finish it up. it is well worth the trip to check it out.

no, not any experience wrecking, just the many, many trips down the track you have made, along with tech involved everytime you go racing.

those are great goals to have. i have watched several events now, but dollars for my projects keep disappearing, so i havent been able to race... yet.

if you do go, GO ON FRIDAY, race on friday, you can make as many passes as you want, the lines are very slender. saturday and sunday are jam packed with about 3 hour wait times between passes.

I thought you were referring to safety experience from my wreck. Truthfully don't have that many track passes. Maybe 80 or so.

Last edited:
80 passes in a truck as fast as yours is plenty of experience.

When we go, we usually tag along with a friend that is racing with the full intention of killing a cooler of beer, but every time we have been, we spend way more time as pit crew and runabouts. And save the beer for later. Its just as fun and a great way to meet new friends. Plus their experience will most always be able to help you. There really isn't a way to wean into it, just jump in and hold on. You probly won't care too much about a dragstrip after this.

Back