Last Fri. Was Sweet This Fri. Killed My 80.

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
Well as I was setting the brakes up on my 80 back up I noticed a rough spot while rolling my 80 over so I said hmmmmmmmmmmm..... better check it out so I did and this is what I found. Well this eliminates my break free season of 08' :(. So I am now laying in my driveway gutting the axle out and off to set it up with a new gear set, I feel as if once things start to fall into place things start to fall apart all at the same time............

Blown802.jpg

Brandon

Just a few teeth off of the 80? Hard to see the picture. Pinion ok?

Looks like it took a chunk off of one of the teeth Dan, that sux Brandon...

Rick

5.13's, the way it feels the pinion is junked also the wear pattern looks good but their are some weird looking indentions on the ring gear and the pinion still has some rough spots also........ I got it ripped out and on the back of the flatbed ready to drop off for a new set of gears :bang.
Brandon

its just a small piece, you'll be alright as long as she still rolls

Im kidding so nobody thinks that was a serious remarks

All kidding aside, you'd be surprised how long they will run like that.
A couple years back, I noticed the rear on my flatbed was getting noisy.
When I took the cover off I new something was up because the magnet on the fill plug was completely caked with fine metal shavings. Come to find out I was missing a total of 7 teeth off my ring gear. Never felt a thing till the metal junked the bearings and it got out of track. It had been over a year at that point since I'd pulled it and had been de tuned for quite some time.

X2

Especially if there aren't 2 consecutive teeth broken - good to go for a roller.

weather the pinion is bad or not, you have to use a matched set if you want it to hold up.

i pulled the ring and pinion of my old ranger and you could of shaved with it the teeth were so sharp.....threw new bearings in it and drove it for another year or so......

Back