Layden goes for TWO!

EMcBride

Hoosier Stormtrooper
A LOT MORE THAN LUCK
“Lucky Dog” Layden Competing for Second Consecutive National Title

By DHRAonline.com staff
Jim Layden has a fairly simple philosophy when it comes to competing for Diesel Hot Rod Association national titles.
You can win it.
But first, you have to be in it.
“To be in the chase, you have to hit all the events,” Layden told DHRAonline.com recently.
True to his credo, Layden has been in it in recent years.
But he has done more than just enter events. Much, much more.
Layden, a 57-year old drag racer from Glenwood City, Wis., has hauled his 1994 Dodge Ram ¾-ton automatic around the country the past two seasons and competed with striking, consistent success.
This season thus far has been particularly successful.
Layden has won three Valvoline Blue Quick Diesel events, and finished second in two others, winning the class’ East competition by more than 300 points.
Layden, last year’s Quick Diesel champion, will enter the DHRA’s Texas Diesel Nationals at Houston Raceway Park in Baytown, Texas, on October 13-14, with a chance at a second consecutive national title.
The series this season will be decided in a playoff-style format. The DHRA expanded West this season.
Layden, who began competing in the DHRA in 2006, will get a bye in one semifinal, and in the championship round, he will face the winner of the other semifinal, in which Quick Diesel West winner Mike Dillehay will face East runner-up Bruce Block.
“Basically, most of the credit goes to my truck,” Layden said. “My truck’s real consistent. There’s nothing really special about it.”
Not except for an ability key in diesel drag-racing competition – the ability to run consistently round to round.
“It’s just proven to be real consistent from one round to the next for the most part,” Layden said. “I’ve had times where it’s dropped off and changed. But on average, the truck’s real consistent. I try to tune it at the track to run on a number, then the rest is up to me as far as cutting a decent light.”
A chance to do that, Layden said, is what appeals to him about the DHRA’s Quick Diesel class.
“I love the heads up part of it,” Layden said. “I’d rather run heads up than a bracket-style thing, where you have to wait until the guy’s already left. I definitely love the heads-up part where everybody leaves at the same time.”
Before his first DHRA event in 2006, Layden said, “I didn’t know what to expect.”
“The first race I went to, I didn’t know I was going to run Quick Diesel,” he said. “I guess when I got there, I just decided, ‘What the heck? Why not?’ The truck had run low 12 before. I thought, ‘OK, I’ll do this.’ The truck was capable of running it, so I said, ‘Why not? Let’s see what this is all about.’
“I’ve focused on tuning the truck to run at exactly 12.00. I’ve been able to do that at the tracks. The truck is real consistent once you adjust the fuel to get to that number.”
Layden, who has drag raced a variety of vehicles through the years, competed fairly heavily drag racing motorcycles in the 1990s, he said.
Around 2001, he bought the ’94 Dodge Ram. His interest in truck racing grew after that.
“I always loved to compete,” he said. “I’ve always been into drag racing and I’ve always been speed-oriented. Just the torque the diesels make and everything. I bought the truck to pull fifth wheel and it has pretty much morphed into a drag racer.
“It was pumped up a little bit. I liked the power. I left it alone for a couple of years, then I started reading and dinging with it. Before long, it took off from there.”
As is the case with many of the top drivers, competing in DHRA isn’t always easy for Layden. He lives in Wisconsin, which means a lengthy drive to most events.
The incentive, he said, is simple.
“I love to compete,” he said. “The fact that I’ve had some real good results, I’ve been pretty fortunate. That alone motivates me to keep going. If I was not doing well at every event I’m sure I wouldn’t travel 1,100-to-1,200 miles one way to some of these events.
“The fact that I’ve had some success – just like all the other competitors, I want to shoot for the championships.”
And unlike some, he has had success doing it.
Which he said may or may not have something to do with his nickname.
Across the back of his truck is the phrase, “Lucky Dog,” and “Lucky Dog” Layden is how he enters DHRA events.
“L and L kind of go together,” Layden said, laughing. “People have said that to me over the years. I’ve always said, ‘Luck’s got nothing to do with it,’ but it does. I started putting that on my tech card about midway through last year.”
But one title and a shot at a second . . .
It has to be more than luck, right?
“I’d like to think so,” he said, laughing, adding of the nickname, “It’s a little bit different, I guess.”
Lucky or not, Layden said the upcoming competition in Texas is important to him.
“What would a win in Texas mean for me?” he said. “It would be nice, and it would pretty much prove to me – if nobody else – that I’m a pretty good competitor and my truck is a competitive unit.”
And considering his past record, he said he feels good about his chances.
“The truck has been consistent,” he said. “I’ve only had one event where the truck really wouldn’t run the number. Other than that, at all the other events, I’ve been able to get down there and run the number. I ran good at Houston last year. We didn’t get to elimination, but I ran 11.96 in time trials, which is right there. I’m expecting the same this year as far as the performance of the truck and what not.
“We cut good lights last year. Every time slip I had a better light than my opponent. I’m feeling good about it, yeah. I’d definitely love to attain another championship.
“I’m excited about going to Houston. I’m definitely excited.”

Back