Lazy TQ lock up untill warm?

nrose07

I love high sulfur
So it's a earlier BD double disk with a 100k+ on it. The last few months its started locking up very lazy. 70 degree fluid temp might take 6-8 sec to lock up, after its warmed up to 140 then its a 1-2 sec lockup. So I've determined that its temperature dependent, not how many times it's cycled or anything else I can think of. So I need to determine if the seals are bad and not enough pressure is getting there till it warms up or if the clutches are going in the converter. I have a gauge to check port pressure but haven't found which I would use for this. Also anyone in the NorthWest that will rebuild aftermarket converters? Thanks!

My DTT did that since new. Fluid temp below 140* and you had to let off the throttle a little before it would lock. Once it warmed up it locked up perfectly. Over a 100k miles with non issues. Shop never could figure it out so I learned to live with it.

That sounds like more of a valvebody issue instead of the TC itself. Seems like the fuild isn't fully flooding the converter fast enough. Not saying that is your problem, just something to think about.

Might pull your lockup solenoid and your gov solenoid and make sure there is no crap in the screen on them. While you are in there bump your line pressure.. Simple screw turning for that guy..

My DTT did that since new. Fluid temp below 140* and you had to let off the throttle a little before it would lock. Once it warmed up it locked up perfectly. Over a 100k miles with non issues. Shop never could figure it out so I learned to live with it.

was going to say something about it LOL cause i noticed it doing the same thing. it never really bugs me.

Read the title, my first thot "wonder if it's a bd converter" !

Sure enough!

My bd did that too. From new. I hated it. Then it went bad. Lockup on the older bd converters is crappy.

Thanks for the feedback! So rather then spending a grand for another converter is there anybody that rebuilds billet converters or a exchange? Preferably in the northwest, I need to stay as cheap as possible. I know I can send it to BD but the shipping is $$$.

^^^^ Call Phill Taylor at Diesel Performance Converters. He is a vendor on here and will set you up.

Back