leaking CP3

Rob_Bones

I H8T ULSD
My fuel pump has a noticeable leak developing between the back of the case and the front of the pump on the drivers side. The pump doesn't piss fuel but drops are forming on the wiring harness beneath the pump and the sway bar and half of the pump looks damp. The truck is currently running fine but I fear it may be a ticking time-bomb... I have taken the truck to a local self proclaimed "diesel shop" and the tech there claims he can fix the leaking pump with an O-ring kit and he won't recommend a replacement pump to my warranty company. An O-ring fix seems a little odd. Has anyone had a similar issue(s)? Any advice would be appreciated.

-Rob

You are saying it's leaking in between the timing case and the pump, or the two "halves" of the pump?

it seems as though the leak is coming from the back of the timing case and the front of the pump.

-Rob

If that's so, it should just be oil, and could be easily fixed by replacing the seal.

It's definitely diesel thats leaking. The motor is "making" oil either... It's a bit baffling.

If it is truly leaking diesel between the pump and the timing case, it needs more than a seal. Anything leaking there would go into the case and contaminate the oil. It's definitely possible it's leaking from elsewhere and appears to be coming from that area. I'm not so sure any seals could be replaced by a typical mechanic for that though.

If it is truly leaking diesel between the pump and the timing case, it needs more than a seal. Anything leaking there would go into the case and contaminate the oil. It's definitely possible it's leaking from elsewhere and appears to be coming from that area. I'm not so sure any seals could be replaced by a typical mechanic for that though.

My thoughts exactly. It just seems like it's at the right level to be coming from the weep hole but without purpling the pump, I'd have no way to know for sure. The oil "seems" fine but I haven't had an actual analysis done on it and the oil level stays consistent on the dip stick. After many exhaustive hours of conversations between Chrysler and numerous dealerships, I've finally found a Stealership that will honor the warranty listed in the warranty manual. This dealership claims they will replace the pump free of charge under the California Long term emissions equipment warranty, section 5.2. It's a catch-22 though, I really do not want to have to put the stock exhaust system back on the truck just for a free injection pump.

Are you positive it is leaking from the front of the pump or is it possible that it's leaking between the two halves?

Back