leaking inner cooler

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Has anyone had any luck fixing a inner cooler core that's putting water into the intake? My pt2000 let me down last night. Pulled the tubes this morning and there is 1" of water in the bottom. Contemplated going back to my water injection and taking the cooler off for a spell.

Has anyone had any luck fixing a inner cooler core that's putting water into the intake? My pt2000 let me down last night. Pulled the tubes this morning and there is 1" of water in the bottom. Contemplated going back to my water injection and taking the cooler off for a spell.

I would say your going to need a new one. Not really any way to fix the core itself. Other than cut it up and replace the core thats bad.

I would say your going to need a new one. Not really any way to fix the core itself. Other than cut it up and replace the core thats bad.

That's what I'm thinking. Has anyone seen one of these coolers split bad enough to allow all the water into the intake?

How many seasons do you have on that? I never realized how pricey those units are! Goodluck!

How many seasons do you have on that? I never realized how pricey those units are! Goodluck!

I bought it used off here and believe it was a season or 2 old when I bought it. I ran it last year (10 hooks) and 3 hooks this year

I bought it used off here and believe it was a season or 2 old when I bought it. I ran it last year (10 hooks) and 3 hooks this year

I've always wondered how much havoc dirt and sand has on those cores from breaking bags of nice on the ground etc. when putting ice in an icebox before a hook. Maybe I just worry too much, but I try to keep as much out as possible when I'm helping out. Not that the boost of a 3.0 turbo doesn't do more damage on a core after a certain point.

I've always wondered how much havoc dirt and sand has on those cores from breaking bags of nice on the ground etc. when putting ice in an icebox before a hook. Maybe I just worry too much, but I try to keep as much out as possible when I'm helping out. Not that the boost of a 3.0 turbo doesn't do more damage on a core after a certain point.

I believe heat is a bigger factors on the cores then anything

That's probably pretty accurate. I may talk my friend into running pre and post temp sensors just to see how efficient it is,being that he's still putting his 3.0 truck together.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's probably pretty accurate. I may talk my friend into running pre and post temp sensors just to see how efficient it is,being that he's still putting his 3.0 truck together.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

500* difference isn't unheard of

Its probably unlikely but can you look into you water ports and see if the weld between the two cores is cracked or not. Just another possiblity of where the water could come from. I fully welded the two cores together on mine. I know some dont weld down the full length of the air side of the cores.

Precision units generally are not made for high boost unless you specify it when ordering it new.....so even if you get it fixed you could be in for continuation of the same old song....

Precision units generally are not made for high boost unless you specify it when ordering it new.....so even if you get it fixed you could be in for continuation of the same old song....

If you specify its for a diesel it ads close to $2k to the price. So a $2k cooler becomes $4k. Who makes a good cooler that isn't ridiculously priced?

Bell makes good coolers, I don't know that they are cheap or expensive compared to PT's offerings

Frozenboost! LOL

Have you talked to Bell? Seems like they're good and somewhat sub-ridiculous pricewise...

I bought a used one with a 9x9x12"L core and supposedly the original price was around $2k. Was spec'd for 60psi IIRC.

Last edited:

I would pressure test it with shop air to be certain it is cracked before tossing it. In certain conditions it is surprising how much condensation can build up in an intercooler, looking like a leak.

I would pressure test it with shop air to be certain it is cracked before tossing it. In certain conditions it is surprising how much condensation can build up in an intercooler, looking like a leak.

I drilled a very small hole in the corner of the exhaust side of the cooler. Going to keep an eye on it to see how much its leaking and also allow the water to escape. I will run a screw into the hole before I run.

Intercooler

I went with the Frozen Boost for around $700. I'm not a big fan of Chinese junk, but at less than 1/4 the price of a Precision, I felt it was worth the risk. I modified mine by welding on (4) 1 1/4" NPT fittings to really move large amounts of water through it. (2 ins front, and 2 outs back) It comes with (2) 3/4" npt fittings, of which I felt is inadequate and they are currently plugged shut.
I have used this for 1.5 years now and at least 20+ runs without any issues. If it fails I will fix it or replace it with the same unit. It specs at over 150 psi, which is more than adequate for a 3.0 truck.

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=218&products_id=948&osCsid=28e5e8e329b82dea4d83d84eacc98e2e

Attachments

• 0625141225.jpg
    0625141225.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • 0625141224.jpg
    0625141224.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
People may laugh at frozen boost but you can set them up right and they work great. I was easily seeing temp drops of 500+ last year with my two cheapo ones. The logs show almost zero pressure drop and intake temps of 70-80 degrees. If yours craps out there are reasonable alternatives.

Chiseled performance makes an nice I believe around $1700

Bell can build any size on you want and are really good at what they do but will cost a least $2000

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

My cousin blew a Precision apart on his pro farm tractor two years ago. It was the restriction in his system, he kept bending rods all year, after he blew the intercooler apart and replaced it with a larger Precision unit he has not bent a rod since.

He welded his back together, or his mechanic did and he now runs it in his farm stock tractor without any issues, FWIW.

Back