let it bark or what

Mountaineer

Comp D's Doe Killer
Well, installed new injectors last night and so far so good. I let er warm up and went and did some burnouts and donuts. Anyway I couldnt keep the 35/14 from barking no matter what I tried. The old man driving didnt even help. Unless I take like 10 seconds to get out of the throttle it howls.

So can I just let it bark ( which if it will hold together is fine with me)
get a BOV or put $ towards a huffer that might have a better chance of staying together.

Thanks ,
Eric

Last edited:
Also it seems like the T/c is slipping in Overdrive now. I'm thinking its the Od clutches being that it doesn't do it in 1st to 3rd. What do you think?

It's either the OD clutches or the lockup clutch in the converter. As far as the barking goes, my 62/12 barks like a son of a gun no matter what so I just let it bark.

BgBlDodge said:
It's either the OD clutches or the lockup clutch in the converter. As far as the barking goes, my 62/12 barks like a son of a gun no matter what so I just let it bark.

OMG, you made it to CompD . You got a long way to go on the posts here.

O and if its the lockup clutches in converter, wouldnt it do it in the other gears?

Thanks man

Last edited:
Mountaineer said:
OMG, you made it to CompD . You got a long way to go on the posts here.

O and if its the lockup clutches in converter, wouldnt it do it in the other gears?

Thanks man

Yeah. I finally made it over here. Still over there but I'm trying to wean myself off of it.

It won't neccesarilly slip the clutches in all gears either. When mine started going out it would only slip the converter in OD. OD is such a tall gear on these trucks that it takes a lot of power to get it moving so it puts a lot of strain on the tranny. I think that's how I want to word it.

Smokem said:
Barking or shaft breakage occurs when the drive pressure is nearing a non-efficient range, surging issues often stem from the compressor trim being equal to or larger than the turbine trim. Most turbochargers will bark as fueling modifications increase, I would look into upgrading.
So I've wondered before why 62s or 66s don't have a reputation of surging while the 64s do? All have the same turbine side as I understand it. I can only guess at the map graph but I would assume a 64 would fit in between?

never had my 64 surge.. But I guess I'm the lucky one, because most seem to.. It doesn't really bark like my 35's did. But it "Huff's" when I let off too quick. No matter how you try and get around it though, It's always a good thing to invest in a blow-off valve. One of these days I'll take my own advice. Already grenaded one turbo :doh:

A HX-35/16 wheel that barked one too many times. I WAS abusing the chit outta it though:hehe: :hehe: Drugs can and will kill.:hehe:

Either get yourself a B.O.V. or start researching in a turbo with a stronger shaft......:tree:

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 30
Smokem said:
The PS and HTB2 line of S300's use the 65mm turbine, the 64mm and 66mm compressor wheels are too close to the surge line to prevent it. This is why when you choose a turbo it is important to understand how to prevent these issues.
Maybe I'm not understanding your response. Please explain in detail if possible why 62s and 66s don't have a reputation for surging while 64s do? And yes, many things in life are important to understand lol.

barking

silverbullet doesn't surge, but it sure will bark. never seen a single on a cummins that didn't. I wouldn't let that 35 bark to much, they don't need an excuse to$.02 *nx* scatter on a modded motor.

I switched from my stock 215 injectors to the 370's and noticed a huge increase of bark on the same charger. I don't know why but it did. everything else remained the same, timing and everything.

don't get me wrong, with the 215's I could still get it to bark, but with the 370's it is way worse

ok....... i have been wondering this for a while now.....

what is the difference between surge and bark. I know what bark is cuz if i let off the peddle pretty fast while the turbo is pushing pretty good numbers, it makes a loud poof noise (it that bark??).

Lance

Surge is under a load.. Bark is when you let off... I could probably describe what surge is exactly.. But I'm not 100% sure and would rather not look like an idiot.. so I'll let someone else explain..:kick:

If "surging" means it cuts in and out and makes the truck jump between 20 and 30 psi of boost, that is what mine is doing, but ONLY if the outside air temp is 70F or less. Mine barks like Hades if if I clutch it at over 30 psi or so. I have learned to drive around the bark...just hold the pedal once you get to speed until your boost falls a little then clutch it. No problems. Now the surge, has me wissed off. Industrial Injection, Edge, no one can tell me what it is or how to fix it. Not too happy with it, but if the air temp outside is 70F or above and AIT readout is 80F or over, it runs and pulls great. I think my turbo isn't set up for my truck to be honest with ya. I have a book on turbo charging that expains all the pressures and how they work and how to read the maps and junk, but I'm still trying to keep it all straight. I wish I wasn't out here in the middle of the country where there ain't folks like Garmon (or RD :hehe:) or others of this caliber that I could take my truck to and say "here...fix this damm thing". :D

Back