lets see pics of traction bars

I happy, Again I never doubted either of you as I honestly had no idea. I just break chit not design, build or even know what I am doing half the time.

That was a quick and to the point experiment. The 2 3/8" tubing would that be considered a pretty good all around tube to be used for general building? Seeing as how it would be the same weight as 1" stock yet over 5 times as strong according to the equations. Now if only they taught useful equations like the ones you used in school instead. Well at least everyone knows what the truth is and diameter and weight are the important deciding factors.

I will save you the equations...

1 inch solid round...calculated to not yield at 32 inches with a 200lb force.

picture.php

1 inch tube 0.113 wall...calculated to not yield at 23 inches with the same force...clearly yield at 32 inches.

picture.php

Read more below.

Sorry for the horrible auto type...the hollow was 1"dia calcs to 23" before yield....so it clearly yielded at 32".

Its just M = SxFb

Hey guys, I have a 2001 ram that's a club can and long bed. I'm building some traction bars and cant decide on 7' or 8' bars, and if for mounting brackets if 1/4" is good?

Hey guys, I have a 2001 ram that's a club can and long bed. I'm building some traction bars and cant decide on 7' or 8' bars, and if for mounting brackets if 1/4" is good?

These questions are hard without knowing more about how your doing it.

Make a sketch...take a picture and post it...then i can mail tell you.

Done right...3/16 can work.

Make the bars parallel to the drive shaft...i think 7 ft is way too long.

Maybe its a second gen thing?

Run the front mount right where the frames flattens out on the bottom.
Thats where i ran mine, no issues.

These questions are hard without knowing more about how your doing it.

Make a sketch...take a picture and post it...then i can mail tell you.

Done right...3/16 can work.

Make the bars parallel to the drive shaft...i think 7 ft is way too long.

Maybe its a second gen thing?

2nd gens aren't boxed all the way, I think that's why people want to run long bars on them

Yeah it make life nice. I can model it at home and take the nice prints to work and cut the steel rather than laying out the template and tracing it and using the torch.

what program do you use? and how do you have access to it? i have looked into some 3D modeling programs, but the full licenses cost like $10,000!!! unreal!!!

Yeah it's gay. I use auto cad at home and solid works at work.

null_zpsc3921c7e.jpg

null_zps3c240099.jpg

Got the frame brackets tacked up. Ill welds them at work tomorrow. Gotta oval the holes in the axle bracket to fit the u-bolts. Also gotta machine plugs to connect the ends to the tubing.

You know any way I could get access to any modeling software? Just curious....

And I like the ladder bars btw!

Sent from phone

I'll definitely look into that! I prefer 3D modeling myself, solid works or NX (personal favorite) but I'll look into the possible free version of autocad

Sent from phone

Back