Let's talk big single

Howling

Soot Sniffer
I I would like to run twins but with out building a new short block (got a 6.7 waiting) I'll just stick with a single. I've had this turbo on for a while now and figure with the new Borg Warner V2 housing there has to be some new technology out there.

The truck is just a weekend toy with no towing. Currently running -
2006 5.9
EFILIVE
75/83 /90 T4 race cover
T4-T3 adapter
T3 Manifold
100% overs
Dual cp3

Plan on running a Stainless diesel T4 manifold the turbo is the question.

75/87
76/87

Without a hood stack, there's no way that would be bro enough.

It'll be a different animal without that T-3 manifold and adapter. The 87/.90 will be spool pretty good.

2007 5509644 said:
It'll be a different animal without that T-3 manifold and adapter. The 87/.90 will be spool pretty good.

Why will not having the adapter change it?

With 100% injectors and dual pumps, that 83mm turbine and .90 housing is leaving alot on the table. I wouldn't worry much about 75mm or 76mm...really won't notice any difference there. But the 87 turbine will help alot. I would bump to a 1.0ar housing also. You won't notice any difference in spool between the .90ar and 1.0ar...I honestly even felt the 1.0 spooled faster than the .90 did. My high pressure charger is a 75/87/1.0 and it does great.

Maybe I'll try to switch the manifold first. I realize the adapter is a restriction.

To me the truck just doesn't feel right. Out of the hole or stop light it doesn't spool very well till I hit second gear.

Maybe I'll try to switch the manifold first. I realize the adapter is a restriction.

To me the truck just doesn't feel right. Out of the hole or stop light it doesn't spool very well till I hit second gear.

The way your tune is setup may also be contributing to the loss until 2nd gear...may want to ask your tuner about their use of the boost/fuel limiting table, then possibly ask for a adjustment.

With 100% injectors and dual pumps, that 83mm turbine and .90 housing is leaving alot on the table. I wouldn't worry much about 75mm or 76mm...really won't notice any difference there. But the 87 turbine will help alot. I would bump to a 1.0ar housing also. You won't notice any difference in spool between the .90ar and 1.0ar...I honestly even felt the 1.0 spooled faster than the .90 did. My high pressure charger is a 75/87/1.0 and it does great.

I agree the 87mm turbine wheel is the way to go, no doubt about it, but I have to disagree with the 75 vs 76 comp wheel comment. I ran both on my last truck and the larger exducer of the 76mm wheel hits/pulls much harder without sacrificing much if any difference in spool.

There are two common 87mm turbine wheels, and they are quite different from one another, you may want to take that into consideration.

There are two common 87mm turbine wheels, and they are quite different from one another, you may want to take that into consideration.

Very good point. I get so used to speaking on behalf of the 81/87mm turbine wheel I almost forget about the other one.

So which one would be better in a single application. The "J" type?

I think a t4 1.0 with the j type 87 and a cast 6 blade 78 from forced inductions would rock. I say forced because I don't know of any other shops that offer that specific wheel. for that specific charger their pricing is unbeatable as well.

Last edited:
He's big and he's single......

Loren_zpso3pzzw1b.jpg

Is the new V2 compressor housing that much of an improvement over the older race cover ?

I think a t4 1.0 with the j type 87 and a cast 6 blade 78 from forced inductions would rock. I say forced because I don't know of any other shops that offer that specific wheel. for that specific charger their pricing is unbeatable as well.

When I ran that exact charger with a T4 on a steed manifold with big nozzles and dual pumps it surged pretty bad imo

Here's a medium throttle roll back when I had it on my old truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiT3vERtOoY

I plan on trying the 76/87/ in either a. 90 or 1.00 might give the new V2 Compressor housing a try as well.

Is the V2 mapped like the sxe housing? I actually need to call Jose and see what the availability of the sxe400 compressor covers are.

Back