Let's talk big single

We have lost power going to a larger AR compressor cover, I would recommend the cover choice fit your particular application, bigger is not always better.

We have lost power going to a larger AR compressor cover, I would recommend the cover choice fit your particular application, bigger is not always better.

I've got a 6 blade 480 with standard cover from FI as my primary..... stick with that cover?

When I ran that exact charger with a T4 on a steed manifold with big nozzles and dual pumps it surged pretty bad imo

Here's a medium throttle roll back when I had it on my old truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiT3vERtOoY

External gate or not? I was using a 50mm jgs.

My experience is a lot different since it was on a 12valve. I never drove like that either, it was normal cruise speed or hammered down and it did great for a bigger single.

Last edited:
External gate or not? I was using a 50mm jgs.

My experience is a lot different since it was on a 12valve. I never drove like that either, it was normal cruise speed or hammered down and it did great for a bigger single.
No gate was needed as drive pressure was only around mid lows 70's with over 60psi boost. When I would do full bore runs it stayed on top of its self fine, but could surge on command. This was with old h&s/ smarty tuning too. I'm sure things with EFI would have been very different.

It was a cool turbo though. When I bought my new turbos from Jose I actually was asking him about running the 78LI wheel and he basically said it's a thing of the past and most quys were just running 6 blade 480 on the big single being spool is about the same.

When I was running the A5K (KKK31) back in 07 that thing used to surge like that.

No gate was needed as drive pressure was only around mid lows 70's with over 60psi boost. When I would do full bore runs it stayed on top of its self fine, but could surge on command. This was with old h&s/ smarty tuning too. I'm sure things with EFI would have been very different.

It was a cool turbo though. When I bought my new turbos from Jose I actually was asking him about running the 78LI wheel and he basically said it's a thing of the past and most quys were just running 6 blade 480 on the big single being spool is about the same.

I'll never buy forced, recommend their knockoff crap, or take Jose's opinion with any weight again.

That 78 is the best performing cast wheel borg produces when paired with the right turbine.

From what I've been gathering, on the primary you'd want a lower pressure housing with more volume? AKA a larger AR

I'll never buy forced, recommend their knockoff crap, or take Jose's opinion with any weight again.

That 78 is the best performing cast wheel borg produces when paired with the right turbine.

Bought 6 different turbos through him and nothing bad to say. I agree the 78 wheel is pretty sweet.

He's big and he's single......

Loren_zpso3pzzw1b.jpg

Holy ****! How did I miss this? I'm surfing CompD while driving and sipping coffee, you about caused an accident Gman!:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

I plan on trying the 76/87/ in either a. 90 or 1.00 might give the new V2 Compressor housing a try as well.

I ran the 76/87/1.0 on my last truck, 07.5 Megacab, and I loved it. Unfortunately I don't have any dyno runs or data logs to back it up, but I did a direct comparison on the street with a 75/87/1.0 vs 76/87/1.0, and the 476 was far superior IMO. Hit/pulled much harder than the 475, and barely gave up anything with regards to spool. Both of these were cast wheel/standard covers as well.

I ran the 76/87/1.0 on my last truck, 07.5 Megacab, and I loved it. Unfortunately I don't have any dyno runs or data logs to back it up, but I did a direct comparison on the street with a 75/87/1.0 vs 76/87/1.0, and the 476 was far superior IMO. Hit/pulled much harder than the 475, and barely gave up anything with regards to spool. Both of these were cast wheel/standard covers as well.

Yeah my brother said it scared the piss out of him when he almost lost it when the back end broke loose passing his buddy on the highway coming back from picking it up.

Yeah my brother said it scared the piss out of him when he almost lost it when the back end broke loose passing his buddy on the highway coming back from picking it up.

LOL I knew he'd had fun when I text him later that afternoon and he told me he bought the wrong truck. Believe me when I say I can personally attest to weight of that truck, and something that heavy shouldn't be that quick/powerful, but it is, and it's simply wonderful. Lol

Pretty sure he was only one #3 too...

Back