Let's talk dual exhaust.

4x4dually

So 2 two inch tubes have the same cross sectional area as 1 four inch tube. If a person was to split the factory off into a pair of two inch tubes for easy of routing and cost, would there be any detrement to the flow? Would it lose the deep tone and sound more like a honda on crack?

I was thinking about running a pair of smaller tubes to the front corners of the bed which would be very easy to form. Then just stick them up into a couple of carbon fiber short stacks. I've always thought it wastefull to split a 4 or 5 inch tube into pairs of 4 or 5 inch tubes. What say the peanut gallery?

Last edited:
Don't go any smaller than 3", to preserve the sound. Im afraid the 2" will sound pretty rice.

So 2 two inche tubes have the same cross sectional area as 1 four inch tube. If a person was to split the factory off into a pair of two inche tubes for easy of routing and cost, would there be any detrement to the flow? Would it lose the deep tone and sound more like a honda on crack?

I was thinking about running a pair of smaller tubes to the front corners of the bed which would be very easy to form. Then just stick them up into a couple of carbon fiber short stacks. I've always thought it wastefull to split a 4 or 5 inch tube into pairs of 4 or 5 inch tubes. What say the peanut gallery?

Better check your math. :)

Cross sections for the following

4" diamater = 2 " radius
Area=Pi*r*r

3.14*2*2=12.56

2" diameter= 1" radius

3.14*1*1=3.14

Then times 2 for two of them

6.28"

I just noticed the bad math and came back here to correct it. I was looking at perimeter in the software and not the area result. :bang

It'd be more like a pair of 2.5's or 3's.

I'm still salivating over this truck 5 years later, but that one still crosses over in the bed to the best of my memory. They need to be frenched in and come out under the truck between the inner and outer bedside. There is plenty of room to cross over under this 2009 with 3" or smaller.

dualstacks2.jpg

Last edited:
Ewww gross

It will probably never happen but I'm bored. I got my desk cleaned off and started playing with 3D software. LOL

Truth be told, it would probably be easeir to have someone cut my tool box down and give me 6 inches on both sides. LOL

Better check your math. :)

Cross sections for the following

4" diamater = 2 " radius
Area=Pi*r*r

3.14*2*2=12.56

2" diameter= 1" radius

3.14*1*1=3.14

Then times 2 for two of them

6.28"

I do it the lazy way

4X4X.7854= 12.5664
2X2X.7854= 3.1416

It will probably never happen but I'm bored. I got my desk cleaned off and started playing with 3D software. LOL

Truth be told, it would probably be easeir to have someone cut my tool box down and give me 6 inches on both sides. LOL

I come up with all kinds of bad ideas when i play with sketchup.

Lets talk about who is closet gasser trash. Lol. I like the looks of that truck also. Them stacks were neat.

I had 2.5 duals on my idi, holy **** that was loud! It made me be in trouble.

It would be the same cross sectional area but the surface area of the pipe acting ont eh exhaust gases would be more causing greater frictional loses.

I knew a guy with 2.5" duals on a duramax. ****tiest sound I have ever heard.

I had a 89 f350 7.3 five speed with true dual 2.5 inch exhaust and I paid a lot of loud exhaust tickets with that bad boy. I also had a 93 non turbo with dual 4" stacks that sounded pretty damn good.

I dont think I would want to split it into anything less than a 3.5". There was a man that had 3" duals on his CR I fixed and it sounded like ass. They went straight to the bumper and turned down.

Since the bed is mounted rigid to the frame, you could french the stacks and not have hardly any exhaust in the bed. Routing around the fuel tank would be the *****.

Back