Lets talk NOS and sledpulling

If the inspection on the bottle is up to date, there is a blow down tube or the bottle isn't mounted in the cab it should be plenty safe as far as causing bodily harm. Broken trucks IMHO are the pullers problem.

The fans for the most part CGARA, they just want a show.

Please keep the opinions rolling guys. I truthfully expected alot more anti NOS sentiment.

Explosions are great for a show. Just like a crash in NASCAR, a hard check into the boards or a fight in hockey, hard hits in football, etc. People like to see it.

The problem is crashes cost NASCAR millions in "safer wall" technologies, millions have been spent on helmet and pad designs for greater safety in Hockey/Football. One nitrous explosion that sends shrapnel and hurts somebody (thinking flagman), will cost $$.

Most issues don't occur with the bottle. Most I've heard are from a stuck solenoid (not much you can do to prevent it), or improper use (too large a jet, to low an rpm, etc)...and you can't prevent stupidity.

While I agree with Matt that if you want to make it "safe", you would have to stop pulling all together, but there comes a point where you have to consider risk vs gain. If the gain is worth the risk, then most will go for it. There are MANY risks already when it comes to the sport of pulling. General consensus (at least in pulling) has been that nitrous is not worth the ADDITIONAL risk.

As for insurance. We have Allied Specialty. When I spoke to them, there was no price difference as to whether or not our club allows nitrous. The issue became coverage after an incident occurred and whether or not due diligence was served (ie. were each nitrous component inspected prior to each run). Future coverage could also be put in jeopardy.

Public opinion is one thing, but talking to your insurance agent and finding out what happens if certain scenarios were to occur is your best bet. Some find they are covered in the event of an "incident", but coverage can be dropped or premiums significantly increased thereafter....

As for Nitrous, from a competitors standpoint I could care less if it's allowed or not, but from a former club officer's point of view and having dealt with procuring insurance, venues, etc., it's is much easier having it not allowed.

To each their own though. I'm sure for every argument for it, there can be an argument against it and vice versa. It all comes down to is any potential gain worth the risk (that's for each individual or club to decide). Edit: Which may be why you haven't seen a ton of push one way or the other. Is there potential good...yes, is there potential bad...yes. If it were all good or all bad (at least in people's perceptions) you would probably have more vocal push.....

Last edited:
Explosions are great for a show. Just like a crash in NASCAR, a hard check into the boards or a fight in hockey, hard hits in football, etc. People like to see it.

The problem is crashes cost NASCAR millions in "safer wall" technologies, millions have been spent on helmet and pad designs for greater safety in Hockey/Football. One nitrous explosion that sends shrapnel and hurts somebody (thinking flagman), will cost $$.

Most issues don't occur with the bottle. Most I've heard are from a stuck solenoid (not much you can do to prevent it), or improper use (too large a jet, to low an rpm, etc)...and you can't prevent stupidity.

While I agree with Matt that if you want to make it "safe", you would have to stop pulling all together, but there comes a point where you have to consider risk vs gain. If the gain is worth the risk, then most will go for it. There are MANY risks already when it comes to the sport of pulling. General consensus (at least in pulling) has been that nitrous is not worth the ADDITIONAL risk.

As for insurance. We have Allied Specialty. When I spoke to them, there was no price difference as to whether or not our club allows nitrous. The issue became coverage after an incident occurred and whether or not due diligence was served (ie. were each nitrous component inspected prior to each run). Future coverage could also be put in jeopardy.

Public opinion is one thing, but talking to your insurance agent and finding out what happens if certain scenarios were to occur is your best bet. Some find they are covered in the event of an "incident", but coverage can be dropped or premiums significantly increased thereafter....

As for Nitrous, from a competitors standpoint I could care less if it's allowed or not, but from a former club officer's point of view and having dealt with procuring insurance, venues, etc., it's is much easier having it not allowed.

To each their own though. I'm sure for every argument for it, there can be an argument against it and vice versa. It all comes down to is any potential gain worth the risk (that's for each individual or club to decide). Edit: Which may be why you haven't seen a ton of push one way or the other. Is there potential good...yes, is there potential bad...yes. If it were all good or all bad (at least in people's perceptions) you would probably have more vocal push.....

I understand Chris. Thanks for your input. Just trying to figure out if our club needs to have a discussion about relaxing a few standards to bolster attendance.

The Promoter that has booked several shows around you and I has started to look the other way for guys that are spraying.

It's bad for the environment and leads to Global Climate Change.

i pull with a group that allows nitrous, but unfortunately the ones that run the nitrous also run the club, so i personally do not run it but think there should be a different set of rules for tks that do & do not, just like drag racing, works for them should work for us, but my personal thoughts not at all on diesels

Frankly it's just silly having the Nawz on anything but an open RWYB class. There why not.

I agree with the above. If its a run what ya brung class and your pulling against blown alcohol trucks then I say spray away!

Frankly it's just silly having the Nawz on anything but an open RWYB class. There why not.

More aptly called "8000 Open" where it's 8000# and 26" hitch and that's it.

Stick a C15 Cat in it if you can meet weight LOL

Back