Lets talk re-builds...

Santa Gertrudis

6.4LTTFMF
What all would you upgrade and/or replace "while you were in there" if the motor was already torn apart? Specific brand names would be great. Also, if you prefer something over another, state why please! This would be for a daily driver/occasional racer. This is what I have come up with...

Elite ported heads
Elite chromoly pushrods
Elite valves and springs
ARP head studs and Ford gaskets
ARP main studs
Ported and EGR deleted manifold
Hypermax Rods
Cryo'd Pistons

Everything else that wouldn't be "upgraded" would be Cryo treated if possible.

And of course, paint that bastard International orange! :D

I would eyeball the rocker arms real close. Atchley's turned up having 5 broken rocker arms.

I perfer to take a different appraoch and use some of the gasser technology when possible for engine hardparts. There loads of RD into materals and such so sometimes it better to not rewrite the book when you could have used existing parts/technology. I have an top shelf machine shop around me that can do competiton valve jobs, o-ring heads, port and polish and some other stuff, so I would go that route. Hypermax rods, pistons rings, coated bearings, ARP fasterners and some custom turbo work. You need to have the heads together correctly as that will determine how much power you can eventually make, unless she is addicted to *nx*

I think roller rockers are available.

Yea, I think Doug said something about making some, but I don't know how readily available they are.

I perfer to take a different appraoch and use some of the gasser technology when possible for engine hardparts. There loads of RD into materals and such so sometimes it better to not rewrite the book when you could have used existing parts/technology. I have an top shelf machine shop around me that can do competiton valve jobs, o-ring heads, port and polish and some other stuff, so I would go that route. Hypermax rods, pistons rings, coated bearings, ARP fasterners and some custom turbo work. You need to have the heads together correctly as that will determine how much power you can eventually make, unless she is addicted to *nx*

So you're thinking like custom heads and valve train to my specs then, huh?

Google Harland Sharp and call them, they are trying to get into the diesel scene and have some made for the cummins. Reason i say call because their not listed on their on line catalog

I think johns FC has Harland sharp roller rockers, and I believe cummins guys can get some from Hamilton too. Just don't know who provides em for you ford guys

There are no RR for a 6.0. As far as the heads have a local shop do your work. Not saying anything against Elite, but there are plenty of folks here local that will do your heads for much less. Rods, I would go with the hypermax's too. I have the first set from Crower, and while amazing, just took waaaaaay to long for me to get them to justify sending anyone else their way. Pistons: Mahle's and Federal mogul for your bearings. Deck the block and heads. ARP studs, but don't waste your time on the main studs. A good build is gonna be close to 10K for a long block.

60VB Valve Bridges $Call
Lighter and stronger! Reduce the chance of breakage as well as lighten valvetrain mass. Recommended for any upper rpm 6.0L.

60RRA Roller Rocker Arms $Call
Eliminate any possibility of rocker arm worries with our rocker arm conversion. Convert to adjustable full roller shaft rockers and eliminate friction and gain strength. Works well with stock camshafts or our Stage 1 or 2 camshafts. whats wrong with carrillo premium forging rods some of the baddest drag cars have them....

Last edited:
60VB Valve Bridges $Call
Lighter and stronger! Reduce the chance of breakage as well as lighten valvetrain mass. Recommended for any upper rpm 6.0L.

60RRA Roller Rocker Arms $Call
Eliminate any possibility of rocker arm worries with our rocker arm conversion. Convert to adjustable full roller shaft rockers and eliminate friction and gain strength. Works well with stock camshafts or our Stage 1 or 2 camshafts. whats wrong with carrillo premium forging rods some of the baddest drag cars have them....

Go ahead and call them and try to order the roller rockers. LOL Let me know how that works out for ya.

So you're thinking like custom heads and valve train to my specs then, huh?

I think that a good machine shop that does allot of race application work will do a fine job on the 6.0L heads. As for the valve train your going to be kinda on your own. You would need springs,pushrods for sure and Cam work should be done as well. Some of that will be trail and error as the aftermarket support for this engine is not at that level yet.

If you really want to get technical then you can look at it from this way. Pushrods are going to be the easy part of this equation. Your valve springs can be bought through some of the manufactures. However to ensure you getting something useful, either you or the manuf, should be familar with the dynamics of the 6.0L valvetrain. That would be to have a solid understanding of the forces/accelerations that the integral parts are subject to. Moving past that the camshaft is next. You can set HP goals but they will need to be translated into more specific, such as at what RPM and such. In reality most of the gasser technology can be applied to the valve train as most of it is interrelated. Physics does not know if your engine is diesel or gasoline.

Last edited:
Back