Let's talk S465

Mighty Goat

Slow Progression
It seems this is the turbo that's going to be big in the 2.6 classes in '09. I've been trying to find more info on it but haven't came up with much. So I thought I'd post up what I've found and other's could add to it and correct me where I'm wrong.

S465

There's at least 2 compressor wheels for it, the ETT extended tip technology and a titanium wheel that's heavy but stronger. I'm guessing there's also a BW wheel that comes on it from the factory?

I'm not positive on this but it seems to me the only place to get one or have a S465 made is

Forced Inductions

Engineered Diesel

Beans Diesel

Is there anyone else that makes or sells them?

I'm also looking for exhaust combinations, it look's like they're all non wastegated and available in many different wheel and housing sizes.

It also looks to me that you can get it with a T3 or T4 foot from Beans Diesel.

I haven't found a compressor map on it but it's supposedly in the 80 to 90 LBS per Minute range. So 800hp is easily achieveable as where a SB is about to blow up at this point.

It's obviously on a S400 base so some of my questions are if it were made with a small exhaust housing would it be as streetable as say a Silver Bullet?
And also would it have to be externally gated or used with a blow off valve? Or could it just be ran as is? Obviously a healty cam and sticks would be in order to run this turbo at all, but would it be streetable in any configuration or should daily driver guy's like myself just stick to the S366 variants and forget all about the S465?

Hopefully this thread will help some people out and sheds some light on this new turbo.

s465 is a box stock charger for a detroit 60 series. You can get some custom work done to them.

Also a version was used in over seas E7 Mack engines that were wastegated.

outstanding. So can you buy a new stocker or would it have to be modified to work for a Cummins?

KTAcummins does them as well. If you buy an off-the-shelf S465 just get a different turbine housing machined for it. Thats what I did with mine, now it is pretty fun to drive and makes awesome power.

Mine made me smile (Bought through Smokem), good charger this year my new unit will come from Engineered Diesel.
Brandon

Interested in this also, but just dont understand the info i have found

Box stock s465's work well and are cheap. You can build them from there, race cover, larger turbine wheels, etc, etc.

so where is the best place for one to locate one of these other than the few shops listed earlier. :poke:

Straight from our website as far as options available

Turbine Housing - T3, T4 or T6 flanges are available. Call to inquire about alternate sizes and prices.
T3 Flange .76 A/R - Non-wastegated
T3 Flange .85 A/R - Non-wastegated
T3 Flange 1.0 A/R - Non-wastegated
T4 Flange .91 A/R - Non-wastegated
T4 Flange 1.0 A/R - Non-wastegated
T4 Flange 1.1 A/R - Non-wastegated
T6 Flange configurations are available

Turbine Wheel - Call to inquire about alternate sizes and prices.
75mm Exducer
76mm Exducer
82mm Exducer
87mm Exducer
98mm Exducer

Stock form for a out of the box 465 is 76mm exducer and a 1.32 t6 I believe. Most wont want to run a 1.32 housing so you will atleast need to buy a housing for it. If you really want to customize it it will depend on your setup, fuel rpms etc. I think for most guys in 2.6 they could get by with a 1.0 t3 housing but IMo would run better with a .91 or 1.0 t4. If its a high revving motor I would suggest 82 or 87mm t-wheel.

I don't know how I missed that thread Brandon. I've been searching S465 for a while. I must not have looked back far enough. The last post in that thread was in 07.

So what did you find out about the fuel and how much power it actually supports?

Streetability impressions?

Did you run an external gate?

IMO street sucked but u run a 3rd gen they have more air flow than my puney little 12V head, I ran a 1.0 T-4 housing no gate, I ran 4200 down the track.
Brandon

How big of a differance is there between the .90 and the 1.0 housings preformance wise? If you had a .90 would it be worth changing to the 1.0?

How big of a differance is there between the .90 and the 1.0 housings preformance wise? If you had a .90 would it be worth changing to the 1.0?

I did and noticed on the track like it opened up, (Which is what had happened) but their was a difference. I got a 1.0 T-4 housing if someone needs 1.
Brandon

Back