Lexan

They might, but all you need is a jig saw to cut it out, just make a template out of cardboard and use a grinder to smooth the edges out.

Thanks for the link! I've been shopping for a lexan windshield, and they don't seem to be cheap. Imagine that! LOL

I had one installed just last week, cost $65 for the window
CompD Mobile Device

Last edited:
I wouldn't do lexan (polycarbonate generic name) for anything but the windshield, as it is too pricey and scratches far too easily.

Just plain old plexi (acrylic generic name) is fine for anything but the windshield.

Just a little info for ya.. Polycarb is some tough azz chit and can take blows from a hammer and and not break and Lexan will shatter into pieces. If you dont use a factory gasket and are going to use screws or small allen head bolts to attach it you will need to drill the holes a little larger and just snug them down. Also rounding the edge and beveling the hole you drill will make it a lot less likely to crack with vibration and changes in temp. They do have grades of Poly the are coated with a scratch resistant coating, but yes they do cost more.

BTW I used to machine 3/8 polycarb for rockwell axle covers and I could shoot them with a .22LR and it would stop the bullet. You will NOT be able to kick a Poly window out that has been screwed in... something to think about when your upside down and on fire!! :hehe::doh:

Most chasis shops will make you one for pretty cheap.

None of them around here will do it, I've called everyone I can find. Pro Glass wants $335 for 1/8" and $395 for 3/16". I'll probably go with 3/16" after the body work and paint is done again. They want $285 for the side windows. They will have to wait I'm pretty sure. LOL

Just a little info for ya.. Polycarb is some tough azz chit and can take blows from a hammer and and not break and Lexan will shatter into pieces...

Lexan is a GE's trademarked name for polycarbonate.

You must be thinking polycarbonate vs acrylic.

(Many moons ago, I worked for GE plastics for a summer)

Last edited:
Yes Lexan is the stuff I think they make bulletbroof glass out of. It is a GE brand. We did some forming of it years ago in college, to make some windshield for a human powered submarine.

Lexan is a GE's trademarked name for polycarbonate.

You must be thinking polycarbonate vs acrylic.

(Many moons ago, I worked for GE plastics for a summer)

Good catch... Im sick as a dog so theres no telling what BS I might throw out there. :hehe:

Yes Lexan is the stuff I think they make bulletbroof glass out of. It is a GE brand. We did some forming of it years ago in college, to make some windshield for a human powered submarine.

I made a 2x4 vacuform several years ago, and had a blast with it. You know you brought it up... so were are the pictures of this cool azz submarine!! :poke:

I cut all my windows using the good stuff, GE ProMar Gurad I think it was called really worth every penny in the long run, good stuff been in for three years now and looks like new. All but the windshield are tinted as well and it drastically reduced the in cab temps. You can buy the Lexan window install kits which come with counters sink for the pan head bolts. If you’re looking for the stock appearing windshield don’t forget the border black paint it works great as well.

Have you tried Five Star for the windows: http://www.fivestarbodies.com/index.php?p=home

805.jpg

borderpaint_LRG.jpg

BBD

Back