lifted , fixing steering

singlesmoker06

just cause it smokes dont
so im running a kelderman lift on my 06 2500, been running it , combined with the 08.5+ steering with no complaints for the past year and a half. when i installed all of this, (used lift along with all NEW custom fabbed brakets/mounts),(NEW steering form dodge house),(NEW drop pitman arm form Kelderman), all was good and grand up until about 2 weeks ago, noticed when i got in to drive to a local sled pull that it had almost a half turn in the steering wheel before it would actually TURn the wheels either way, crawled under it and looked and the only thing holding the pitman arm on the sector shaft was the BD steering box braces' pitman arm nut/shaft that comes with its kit. therefore only thing holding that up was the bearing/2-small allen headed set screws on the BD kit!!!! pulled it all off and noticed this...
001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-4.jpg

now what??
the sector shft is tight, now cracked, no side to side play at ALL, other than the lower 2-3 threads being stripped its all good, so im getting ready to measure for my new steering setup from Bulletproofsteering.com and just wondering what you guys think about maybe running a not-so-dropped pitman arm before i buy this kit???

when at ride height its not really that steep of a drag link angle so im thinking i can get away with a smaller pitman arm say one for a 6" lift rather than a 10" drop pitman arm with less swing side to side vs the smaller, since im getting a "custom" made kit with my measurements , all they need to know is what the angle is on the drag link at maximum extension of the front suspension, and they compensate the bends accordingly to match and not exceed the heims max and min angles of working.....
003-3.jpg

at ride height

i have a kelderman pitman arm and it kept coming loose so i took it off, i had a ten inch lift, back down to six with a six inch pitman arm

I will definately tell you than the Bullet Proof Steering Kit is effin' stout and awesome......mine should be installed within 10 days

My pitman arm with my skyjacker lift did the same thing and it wasn't a drop arm. Only thin I could think of is that I didn't have it mounted securely on the shaft and it just kinda worked its way loose.

Back