Line hone after non main girdle?

M249cummins

I understand that it's a good idea to get the mains line honed after installing a girdle that ties in the main caps but what about a girdle that just bolts to the oil pan holes? Like a oem cummins girdle?

I bolted up the Cummins blocks can stiffener and installed better rods bolt while the engine was in the truck. Since you are not using main bolts/studs to tie the Cummins piece to the block, you will be fine.

I say at least get it checked and line bored/honed if needed. They are not always necessarily true which can cause issues.

I have to drill and tap for 14mm mains anyway, crank journals polished and balance the crank. Just trying to not spend money if I don't have to.

Doing a bare block build and it's just incredibly difficult and inconvenient to move the motor to and from the machine shop.

Last edited:
Going to 14mm mains is enough of a reason to line bore, wasn't much worried about just the girdle.

Might as well bite the bulled and get it done. Wagler, Schied and haisley are within an hour from me so it shouldn't be difficult getting it done right.

I have gone as far as 12mm main studs without line boring, but 14mm I would definitely get it done being that they torque down more which means more distortion.

I'll get it done, I haven't checked which block I have yet but I'll just assume it's a storm block and add it to the checklist.

Back