Line lock question

WAYNES WORLD

Guys,

I need a line lock for my 96 Dodge with Hydroboost. I've tried B&M & Hurst but both won't release the front brakes ! :-(
I eliminated the ABS & apportion valve but no success. The front brakes still lock but when you release the button the hydroboost doesn't release the brakes. WTF
Any ideas?

WAYNES WORLD:tree:

Is it on the line after the antilock, pretty simple deal have you checked the solenoid with air pressure to make sure its releasing after no power.

would it not be better to run it the other way. Line lock on closes off and disengages the rear brakes. Line lock off, all brakes work properly. then you are able to maintain front brake control and modulation.

line lock question

jasonc,

Both ABS & apportion have been removed. I ran a direct line to the Hurst control. Yet they still wouldn't release-------
The hydroboost or the Hurst is holding on the pressure. BTW, I tried the same thing with B&M unit-------:bang
See photos------
WAYNES WORLD

Attachments

• IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
Then just start with the basics, put a volt meter and check to see the power turns off at the solenoid when you let off the button. Make sure its plummed the right direction and not backwards. If both of those check out take it loose and check with compressed air that it flows freely after you release the button.

jasonc,

I have a LED light hooked in the power line to the Line Lock. It goes off as soon as I release it.
As you can see it's plumbed right. The inlet on top, only one hole. the bottom has 3 holes to use.
The photos show how I have it done.:nail:
That is why I keep beating my head to find a cure.

WAYNES WORLD

Put a meter or a test light directly to the solenoid just to be sure, if that's good just check it with air pressure to see if it releases and if it doesn't the valves bad. When you say doesn't release is it just a bad delay or not at all.

How do you have your indicator light wired in.

jasonc,

I'll try the air supply technique tomorrow--------
The solenoid is wired 12v into the switch then to the led light & from there to the solenoid. The ground for the led light to ground.
The Hurst solenoid reacted the same as the B&M unit. It takes 10-20 minutes to relax the calipers.
Stay tuned ,
Thank You,
WAYNES WORLD

jasonc,

I'll try the air supply technique tomorrow--------
The solenoid is wired 12v into the switch then to the led light & from there to the solenoid. The ground for the led light to ground.
The Hurst solenoid reacted the same as the B&M unit. It takes 10-20 minutes to relax the calipers.
Stay tuned ,
Thank You,
WAYNES WORLD

Have you tried it on the road? Or are you just testing it in the shop?

I've got the hurst line lock on my dakota and when I release the button, the line lock releases right away.

I've got the hurst line lock on my dakota and when I release the button, the line lock releases right away.

khaoskustoms,

I tested my Hurst again today. :)--------
The Hurst worked good when I hit the button. BUT--------Upon release, the Hurst barely flows back. 20 minutes later, it's still holding. WTF--------
I eliminate the unit by putting in a bypass line & it returns the fluid back.
I check the unit with the air hose--------same result. The air barely moves back at 120 lbs. With very little pressure in the return fluid, I'm puzzled as to why it doesn't work. I looked at the inside thru the inlet hole & the spring doesn't move.
Any suggestions will help.:nail::doh:
WAYNES WORLD

What's the condition of the rest of the brake lines, both rubber and metal?

Let me rephrase...what age/condition are the "rubber" brake hoses to the calipers? Are they the original hoses?

Last edited:
Let me rephrase...what age/condition are the "rubber" brake hoses to the calipers? Are they the original hoses?

TheBac,

No the original hoses are long gone. Please reread my last post--------
I eliminate the Hurst unit, the brakes work just fine.Etc-----

WAYNES WORLD

Have you tried just to wire it straight without the indicator light, everything sounds correct, but just to verify. If that's not it I wonder if its hanging or getting damaged from to much pressure from your hydro boost.

Have you tried just to wire it straight without the indicator light, everything sounds correct, but just to verify. If that's not it I wonder if its hanging or getting damaged from to much pressure from your hydro boost.

jasonc,

Interesting idea about theLED light. The defining moment was last night with the air hose. The solenoid isn't returning far enough to allow the fluid to return to the reservoir. I'm calling Hurst today.
Thanks,
WAYNES WORLD

Back