Little firering help

Texasbr

Been messing around on the mill and cutting fire rings in some old heads I have but I need some help on the measurement from each cylinder. Looking for the centerline between the cylinders or measurement between the cylinders that way when I cut a ring around one I can just slide the table down to said amount and then cut the next ring and so forth. Or maybe someone can assist on how I could possibly measure it out myself and find it.
Been tinkering with it for a couple days and just can't find any consistency with the cast to get a accurate number.

What head? I'll guess 24 valve. I'd say using the injector hole would be the best reference.

Sorry yes 24 valve. And I made a little pin that goes down in the injector hole but I found out that it becomes slightly loose when I move from each one. I know a digital caliper aren't crazy accurate but it shows differences up to 40 thousands for me on each cylinder at times. Not positive how precise you actually have to be with this either but I would like to do it correctly as possible

.040" is a big difference...

So was it the injector bore itself that was 0.040" out or was it your fire ring that was 0.040" off the reference point of the injector bore?

Last edited:
Exactly, and honestly there's probably crap in there throwing it all off and what not so I was seeing if anyone on here has any information by chance.

And the 0.040 varied from measuring from injector hole to injector hole.

And the 0.040 varied from measuring from injector hole to injector hole.

I don't know what the tolerance is when it comes to building a cylinder head there at Cummins but I would have thought it would be less than 40 thou!

Why not use a dead center at the injector hole? Then replace it with your cutter. Getting the head perfectly set level with the cutter is where the money is.

I got it figured out, gonna setup and try tonight. Thanks for the help and I guess I'll see how it goes

Back