LMM tranny limits

DieselWrencher

6cyl Vette
How much power can these new transmissions hold? I hear up to 600hp. Is there any truth to that, or is that just bs? I have a friend wanting to mod the engine and just try to do minor mods to the trans. Anyone have any tips and advice so I can try to help him not destroy his new truck? Thanks Ryan.

I know of a guy that wasted his at the stock power level. Too many burnouts, dounuts & boosted launches. If you're easy on 'em I heard 400.

JQmile said:
I know of a guy that wasted his at the stock power level. Too many burnouts, dounuts & boosted launches. If you're easy on 'em I heard 400.

Sounds like he wasted the C1 clutches, the tranny can't protect it self(limp mode) at the 1-3 gears like it does in 4-5.

Min. tranny mods should be Transgo & TC, then just make sure it stays cool probably need a cooler in the summer.

I just dyno'ed 455 HP yesterday on stock tranny. It's holding up for now.

I got a buddy that has a PPE race and exhaust and his is unhappy to say the least. Oh, I guess he does have an Airdog 150 too.

i dynoed 505 on a stock trans. depends on how you drive it, i went 6 months then did a full tranny build, none of the clutches were burnt but the tc was shot.... i would say with a trans go jr. your good for 400 hp, any huge hp gain should consider a trans build.....

they dyno around 290-310 i went 483 on stock trans went in limp mode a few times no i have a transgo and hadent had a problem

Do transmissions and tc's that can handle 750 hp drive like stock or are there drawbacks to driveability.

Do transmissions and tc's that can handle 750 hp drive like stock or are there drawbacks to driveability.

It all depends on who does the build. At that HP level there will be plenty of trade offs. After the trans/converter build you will find the next weakest link.

I drove a friends 2003 Duramax/Allison and he claimed it has around 750 hp and 1100+ ftlb. I have to agree that it had way more power than the rear tires could handle, but the transmission seemed to hunt and was very clunky. It resembled driving a cammed up muscle car from the late 60's. Lots of fun, but not much of a daily driver. Definitely not a tow vehicle. He bought his transmission from suncoast but I do not know any of the details.

How much power can these new transmissions hold? I hear up to 600hp. Is there any truth to that, or is that just bs? I have a friend wanting to mod the engine and just try to do minor mods to the trans. Anyone have any tips and advice so I can try to help him not destroy his new truck? Thanks Ryan.
I put a tune in my dad's stock LMM and it was running mid 13s at around 97 MPH in a 7900 lb dually. According to the HP calculator on here that puts it at around 480 to 500 HP at the wheels. The shifts seemed to be fine, but I could feel the converter clutch starting to chatter at the top of 5th gear as I was going through the traps. It definitely didn't seem too happy with the power.
I drove a friends 2003 Duramax/Allison and he claimed it has around 750 hp and 1100+ ftlb. I have to agree that it had way more power than the rear tires could handle, but the transmission seemed to hunt and was very clunky. It resembled driving a cammed up muscle car from the late 60's. Lots of fun, but not much of a daily driver. Definitely not a tow vehicle. He bought his transmission from suncoast but I do not know any of the details.
A lot of times shifting/driving issues are more tuning related than trans/hard parts related. The right tuning can make all the difference in the world.

mine dynoed 479 hp and 830 lb ft to the wheels...and i drive the sh*t out of it everyday...been doin it for around 8 months with no problems

07.5 LMM 7" lift ,37x13.50x20 mud grapplers ,20x10 rockstars,turbo-back mbrp,intake,PPE hot+2 ,ported fuel rail fitting

its not really the horsepower that kills the trans... its the torque

i dynoed mine about a month ago at 475/1038 and u can tell the tranny is on its way.. only limped it once

do a suncoast IV kit w/ 1056 and they are damn near bulletproof

its not really the horsepower that kills the trans... its the torque

i dynoed mine about a month ago at 475/1038 and u can tell the tranny is on its way.. only limped it once

do a suncoast IV kit w/ 1056 and they are damn near bulletproof

X2, just do a stage IV suncoast and you will be golden. If your only doing small mods and not racing, pulling, etc. then do a transgo jr.

Back