Long Read, advice needed, not the usual POWER build wanted

SeeYaLater5.9

Farmer of the year!!
99 3500 red ex cab dually with a black flatbed 235,xxx miles
Picked it up for $3200 cash, with not a single oil leak on it, and a tad over 200k on the clock at purchase :rockwoot: Its a fix-er-up, but has been reliable so far. Have always owned a diesel, however this is my first cummins so im here to learn.

What i do with the truck: Its daily driven roughly 80 miles round trip to work each day, and seeing as i work for a custom farming operation, the need to pull a round baler, disc's, goosenecking, etc can arise at any moment. Right now, its loud, rough riding, bad handling, overall just uncomfortable to drive. It "runs" good, but seems a little tired. Transmission also searches for gears quite a bit

Im wanting to start turning this thing into an enjoyable, comfortable, "peppy" daily driver thats somewhat easy on the eye (and wallet) with ability to tow anything (sometimes heavy) on tap at any time. Im not searching for any "set" amount of HP at this moment. I cant afford a full built tranny and really dont want to go that route anyway, so minor mods is all that will be done to that side of things.

Here's what ive been kicking around in my head:
-Pulling the bed off and repainting gloss black, all new LED clearence and brake lights. Also have Air compressor,100 gal transfer tank, and black chest style toolbox to mount
-Get the frame all cleaned up and hit it with a coat or 2 of black frame coating while the bed is off (up to the cab for now)
-Remove rear blocks to slightly drop the ass end down
-New shocks out back, add bags or helper springs for towing, still unsure on that
-Install new simulators all around
-Tow mirrors
-HID lights
-Full replacement front end bullbar style bumper
-New set of nice looking tires. Would like to shove a 285 or so in there if possible
-Quad pod on the pillar w/ matching ISSPROS
-Fass or Raptor Lift Pump and build my own CAI system

What should i do to the tranny? Front end needs rebuilt but i have no idea where to start so ill need some help there. What engine mods should i add? Which tuner/programmer?

My gosh thats a long post, and probably makes ZERO sense. I just needed to get my thoughts on paper so please work with me guys. Thank you for your time

like said above go after the trans and front end first it will save you in the long run. might be a little bit out of pocket up front but worth it in the long run. if your wanting to keep it dependable i would leave the engine alone as far as mods and programmers. might take the injectors in and get them cleaned up and pressures reset. other than that you could work on some of the exterior mods/updates

My personal favorite towing set up power-wise is an edge comp and RV275 injectors, just have to make sure you build the trans to take the abuse from the engine. Definitely fix the front end and make it drive good, put a reliable lift pump on it and you should have something that will take care of you going down the road...

Definately put a lift pump pressure gauge or low pressure light- cheap way to save the $1000 injector pump. You prob need a front end rebuild. Trac bar is probably shot.

May just let my local mechanic do a complete rebuild on my front end. What all should I expect him to replace on a 'complete' rebuild on a 2wd truck? How much does one usually run? When I redid everything on my 4x4 f250 it was around $1500..is that a safe estimate?

I guess I was a bit unclear on what I'm wanting to do power wise. I DO want to add a little uumph to the ole 5.9 and know ill lose somewhat of its reliability doing so. What I don't need is some 800hp smokey pig. Just enough to make it fun to drive and not be afraid to open up on other guys once in a while. But it must tow good. 350-400hp will be plenty.

What should I throw at the trans to handle a little extra power, and get it shifting better? Without breaking the bank.

Possible to run a 285 tire on this truck?

I have an Edge comp drag on mine. I love it. Stock injectors. I have a AFE air filter kit on it,and a FASS pump. It runs great for what it is. And i tow my pulling truck with it. It does great with a stock charger on it. I don't even have gauges in it!

I'm not sure what's unusual about this build yet cause from what I see its the same thing the other 50 million people who want a reliable truck have done.

Back