longevity of precision turbos?

jeff115

Seams like I've read some where that they are not the best for street use because they don't last very long, but I cant find anything about it now. is any body running one? or two, or three?

They do make some pretty sweet stuff. Just go billet instead of batmo..

I know they make really good performing stuff, just thought I had heard they don't last long on the street between rebuilds.

i've heard both good and bad things about precision. however, i've personally experienced a few problems with there turbos specifically. one blown 74mm GT42R and one blown Pro Mod GT55R 91mm... very expensive turbo! that one hurt.

had to pay to have both rebuilt and fixed... of course was never under warranty.

were they being pushed out of their happy spot? or just running like they were supposed to, and they let go.

nope... only ran about 25-28psi on the GT55. they were well inside there efficiency island at that pressure ratio. my Garrett chargers never had an issue.

Precision use to buy the turbos and the parts from Garrett direct. until a few years ago when they started to make there own stuff in house. since they branched off, there has been a lot more problems.

Precision use to buy the turbos and the parts from Garrett direct. until a few years ago when they started to make there own stuff in house. since they branched off, there has been a lot more problems.

Well, they keep thinning everything down and shrinking hubs and whatnot to get more performance from their pieces, but it would appear that they're using customers' cars for burst & containment testing, instead of a gas stand and an engineering group.

The big OEMs generally get held to warranty agreements with their customers, so they spend a lot of time trying to make sure that everything goes out the door with a high degree of reliability, or they just end up paying for it later on. Now you take that turbo and push it to 125%+++ of the design operating point, and you are officially on your own.

The hi-po builders rarely have warranties, so if they decide to make a turbine wheel that will make 10% more mass flow at the same size, and they shrink everything to do that, it'll run like a raped ape until it goes bye bye...at which point they will say "so you want another one?"

This is not to say both don't have their application...they do. Just saying that squeezing the last little bit out of anything racing, probably isn't going to add to its life...and if you're at the bleeding edge, well, it's always been a "good luck" situation.

Last edited:
There's a thread over on yellow bullet about precision's turbo's blowing on mod cars that had alot of info in it.

just found that thread. It sounds like ill be going with precision.

Back