lookin at possibly changing motor oil viscosity?

05STROKER

SuperStroker
hey guys ive been lookin alot into the different grades of oil you can run in the 6.0s and i was curious if i should stick with the 15-40 ive been running since i bought the truck or if i should switch over to 5-40?? gonna be puttin in an order to amsoil and would like to get feedback before i do. i live in massachusetts so i see all seasons and all temperatures, its goin to be 65+ degrees from now until august/sept i believe.. any input would be great!!

I switched to Rotella 15W-40 after some injector issues and running the 5W-40 that the dealer was putting in my truck and never looked back. I also run 15W-40 year round and I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula I've never had an issue with the truck starting even if I occasionally forget to plug the truck in. It may not be happy for the first few minutes but it starts.

5W40 rotella T6 synthetic with 2 bottles of revX oil additive and a filter every 5k miles, run the oil to 10k between changes. Cold start protection that 5W40 adds is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Switched to Valvoline Extreme Blue Syn 5w 40 two years ago, and never looked back. The truck likes it.

so 15w-40 is the way to go? with all the research ive done i definitely wanna run nuthin but amsoil but ive never thought i could run 5w-40, it came with 15w-40 from the factory so thats all ive ever used, i would assume 5w-40 would be not good with the heat and whatnot in the summertime.. also what is the rev-x all about and whats the benefits about it? ive never ran any additives...

5W40 has way better cold flow characteristics than 15W40 and gives your engine better cold start protection, faster engine crank speed which can be critical in a 6.0L, not to mention less load on the starter. Hot viscosity rating is the same. I know people that run 10W30 diesel grade oil in their 6.0s the year around because it simply gives them easier starts.
Rev-X oil additive has a website and the product sells itself.

T6

I run T6 5w40 with a oil bypass amsoil... change fluid every 5k (which i could go longer due to bypass) the 6.0 LOVES the 5w40 in cold weather and holds true in hot summer in virginia.

well since ford says that a synthetic 5w40 is ok for towing at all temperatures.... and many many owners have reported easier cranking, and less stiction than with 15W40, I can't see any really good reason to stick with the "old school" oil. trying to treat the 6.0 like an old school engine is what caused a great many of the issues that gave the engine a bad rep.

already bought the 15w-40 amsoil this time around with the rev-x, looks like next oil change ill either hafta buy 5-40 or 10-30, the truck has always had 15-40 in it since it rolled off the assembly line so i decided to just stick with the premium synthetic 15-40 this time around

i work at a school bus garage in minnesota, temps 30 below to over 100, we run delo synthetic 5w40 in EVERYTHING, our mini vans, conversion vans, pickups, and all the buses, some have 6.0 and 6.4 ford, 5.9 and 6.7 cummins, c7 cats, and some bbi I.H. engines. We actually do at all our shops i believe, minnesota, wisconsin, illinois, and massachuetts also

5w40. We use Amsoil and Rotella T6 synthetics. Better cold starts and better lubricity. Mix with Rev-X and they start like common rails during the winter.

Back