Looking at a 2008 need some advise

DAFBFD58

Ok guys need your help. I'm a die hard Ford guy but love the cummins. I might be able to get a sweet deal on a 08 2500HD.The dealer is asking 32k for it but I know a few people there and they know it as well. It has some power mods (TS MP8, it looks like a fass system, exhaust, power elbow and intake system) done and is running on 20" rockstars with the new 305 Nitto MTs. They are getting stock wheels for inspection and are including them in the deal. The truck is loaded. Indash nav, power rear window, power peddels...... The truck will scoot too. I know the story behind the trade in as well. The previous owner was not happy when he was beaten numerous times by a powerstroke so he traded it in. He also left track tickets in there and the last one was in the 12s and in the 100s.
They are willing to deal on my gasser. Is there anything I need to know about the 08s besides the dash recall and the dpf?
Here is the truck,
28274_1446608719354_1057230761_31316985_5545591_n.jpg

28274_1446609439372_1057230761_31316992_8178743_n.jpg

Here is mine,
7728_1221920782296_1057230761_30716121_676705_n.jpg

7728_1221919262258_1057230761_30716116_5235615_n.jpg

So it still has the DPF& EGR Stuff on it?

How Many Miles?

I bought my '07 last year for $25,900 so you might want to see if they can go a little lower on the price...

Not sure about the egr. The dpf i am not sure. The tip did not have the openings on it like the aftermarket kits do. I did not get to look at it when I was there. It was just looking at it for a second time. I had been at the dealer earlier to schedule some work for my ford when I saw it. My curiosity got the best of me and took it for a ride. Its a night and day from my truck. it held steady around 25 pounds of boost when I was on it. The pyro didnt go above 900. The fuel pressure guage, well i didnt watch that. They have not inspected it. It had aroud 40k on the motor. I was going to try and work the price if I decide to pull the trigger. I'm 85% sure I wan to do it.

12's with the DPF intact?!

HuH? :what:

Gorgeous truck man!
whats the story on the Tranny?

The pictures do not do this truck justice. I've never been a big fan of the dodge styling but this thing is just sweet. I dont know If I would conside lifting it. Only thing it needs is some steps. The better half will have a hard time getting in. Will have to keep a step in the truck for her.

Thats why I think the dpf is gone to include the lack of the new style tip. I'm thinking about giving Eric at Innovative a call, since he is in the same town as me, and see if he can look the truck over. If anyone could help he should be able to. I dont know if there is a custom tune on it but I know the mp8 is still in the engine bay. The turbo I think had some work to it because there is an allen key wedged into a bolt on the header flange. I'm new to the diesel world and even more to the cummins. Thats why the post on here. If I can get this done, even with a ****ty apr (divorce screwed the credit) I will be paying less then I do on my current truck. So in the end its better all around. Now to get the better half to agree. She agrees that I need a new truck as it seems I am always fixing something on the ford. They are little things but it gets annoying. It spit a second plug so its going in for that. With 115k or so on the motor and trans its getting close or time for a rebuild for both. The truck spent most of its life lifted so the motor and trans has had to work a little harder then most. I also pull in the gas classes in my area so thats even more work for it.

did it smoke at all when you were getting on it? if it did theres no DPF.
I would be the most worried about that transmission.... if he was really running 12 second quartermile runs on a stock trans...... yikes!

always a good idea to have an independent shop give it the once over, any performance Diesel shop would do.

you will love the milage+ and power+ of the cummins compared to that gasser.

If you do buy it, get something in writing from the creepy salesman about warranty.

Good Luck!

The tranny shifted nice and I didnt feel any slipping when I was on it hard. Maybe when I go and talk to the dealer tuesday about my truck I can see if they have a breakdown of what the previous owner did to it. The old owner left a ton of drag tickets in the truck. They are pretty consistant with numbers. Most are in the 12s. I know the truck that beat him on the strip, it's my contact at the dealers husband. The dodge owner wasn't happy and a week or so later he was at the ford dealer trading his truck in. Honestly I could care less about the 1/4 mile. Im looking to pull it. Like I said Innovative is down the street from my house and TnT Performance is 40 min away. So I have the ability to get help real easy with the truck. I know Brett at TnT for a few years, from pulls to dyno days at his shop. My good friend has all his work done by Brett. I'm only real hang up is the loan approval and my current truck. I've spent a lot of time and sweat on it and it feels like I am just tossing it to the side. It has become like family to me. I know that sounds weird but thats just how it is with me. On the other hand I would be stepping up to a newer truck, better options and well its what I have wanted ever since I started pulling. Decisions decisions decisions

No smoke when I got on it but I didnt really load it up and didnt want to beat on it with the sales person in there. It had a check engine light that they are going to fix before they let it go. So thats another reason I didnt really hammer it.

Update looking at some pictures on the cumminsforum for the egr delete it shows the egr done and its what i saw in the motor compartment

32K sounds a little high for a used one. I bought my 09 for 31K brand new... and it wasn't ever used at the track. My $.02

-Rob

Back