Looking for better 12v numbers. winter project

mech2161

I have a secret.
It's going to be a long winter and I need something to do. It dynoed 573 with the pulling set up. It has full cut dv's, 5X.016 injectors, 215 pump at 22*, 5K gsk and a 2.8 S400 with a .9 exhaust housing. Part of the problem is I backed the gov springs off to make it easier to drive on the street. It was real touchy. Peak power was only like 2500 LOL. The last hook it only pulled 3k down the track.

I'm thinking 191's, crank the gov springs back down, raise the timing a little and maybe an external waste gate. Give me some thoughts and ideas.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72823GX5Tw[/MEDIA]

It's going to be a long winter and I need something to do. It dynoed 573 with the pulling set up. It has full cut dv's, 5X.016 injectorsi would be atleast a 5x18, 215 pump at 22* , and ATLEAST 30* of timing, 5K gsk and a 2.8 S400 with a .9 exhaust housingi would be running a 1.28 or 1.32. Part of the problem is I backed the gov springs off to make it easier to drive on the street. It was real touchy. Peak power was only like 2500 LOL. The last hook it only pulled 3k down the trackshould have flat top plungers or you will loose some high rpm.

I'm thinking 191's, crank the gov springs back down, raise the timing a little and maybe an external waste gate. Give me some thoughts and ideas.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72823GX5Tw[/MEDIA]

there that is what i normally would have done LOL

DV's and timing are easy enough to try different set ups. I didn't want the bigger exhaust housing and lose the driveability. I'm hoping a waste gate will help. I talked to Weston a lot before I decided on the injectors. Again I don't want it to be a trailer queen.

It does have the biggest cam I could stuff in it without cutting the pistons. Stock pistons and gasket when it was assembled.

ok sorry i was talking puller only not a driver, then yes a wastegate would help. but you are kinda settin good for a driver on a single, it will be hard to move that up and have good drivabilty.

I know that one isn't going to be the same as the other. I need something to do this winter. Found a dyno about 35 minutes away so I thought I'd try something different.

Is a 45mm ewg large enough? Can I put drive pressure in one side and boost in the other to keep it one to one?

Thanks for the help. I need to gather up the parts and get to it. I have to swap out a cracked manifold so it will be a good time to do the rest.

Can anyone tell me how the machined dv's are measured?

I have a fealing we are gonna be visiting Timmy a few times this winter. LOL

I kinda laugh when I read threads like this.....

You have more HP in your truck now than back when Sleddy won his back to back DHRA championships.The trick now for you,like Gene did way back then,to have the proper tire and wheel combination and gearing to allow the truck to make use of the power where its being made.While many think he had loads of Hp back then,his truck was about average but it was the tune and the way he applied it that won him many pulls and back to back championships.I have the run files from his truck back then and if you seen them you would be shocked at what power he made while strapped.The one thing his tune and truck did do back then was to get into max power/torque early and drag it across the sheet............Andy

I have a fealing we are gonna be visiting Timmy a few times this winter. LOL

I think your right.

I kinda laugh when I read threads like this.....

You have more HP in your truck now than back when Sleddy won his back to back DHRA championships.The trick now for you,like Gene did way back then,to have the proper tire and wheel combination and gearing to allow the truck to make use of the power where its being made.While many think he had loads of Hp back then,his truck was about average but it was the tune and the way he applied it that won him many pulls and back to back championships.I have the run files from his truck back then and if you seen them you would be shocked at what power he made while strapped.The one thing his tune and truck did do back then was to get into max power/torque early and drag it across the sheet............Andy

Maybe you misunderstood the intent of the post. I know what it put down on the dyno and what it's actually doing are two different things. I want to see what I can get out of it on the dyno and keep it streetable. Just something to do when I can't pull.

Streetable = I drive this truck every day. To and from every pull.

Super B Special and 181's and with proper fuel presintation it will be well over 600HP....:rockwoot:

Can anyone tell me how the machined dv's are measured?

LCvs181-2measure.jpg

Unless you get more creative. But I would definitely stick with something with a shoulder.

So the width of that shoulder is what is measured? I'm a little confused on the difference between the 191 and say a 22 or 24 that people talk about.

So the width of that shoulder is what is measured? I'm a little confused on the difference between the 191 and say a 22 or 24 that people talk about.

191 is about .030" shoulder

"22" and "24" are just what they say, .022" and .024"

Ok that make sense now. Thanks for the help. Learning something new all the time.

If you wanna use and external gate I would keep your smaller turbine housing, and crank the barrels on that 215 pump and get it balanced if you have the the money to do so.

Back