Looking for light rims for racing..

mulisha

Guys i checked the search and found older threads only.. Im currently running 20in jesse james wheels, with a 305/50/20 nitto.. These rims are heavy, so i need some quick info on the lightest possible rim i can run... Obviously welds are out being a gigantic nut...thanks in advance fella's....

chevy PYO 16x6.5's, forged aluminum @ 17# each.

7150609937_7160724169_z.jpg

there's one positioned beside my truck just for looks.

chevy PYO 16x6.5's, forged aluminum @ 17# each.

7150609937_7160724169_z.jpg

there's one positioned beside my truck just for looks.

I cant do those i have a 3rd gen.. That would require either caliper griniding or swapping to 2 gen callipets and such.. But those would be so ideal..

How bad do you have to molest the brakes to fit a 16" wheel on a third gen?

Not sure on the front but it is a lot of grinding on the rear even using a majorly back spaced wheel.

Not sure on the front but it is a lot of grinding on the rear even using a majorly back spaced wheel.

I talked myself into it 15 min ago, now i read this ****... Gotta shed some rotating weight...

Look at Centerline rotary forged wheels they are very strong and very light and available in a ton of styles, sizes and backspacing. Also TSW makes some very nice and lightweight wheels but I don't know if they have anything for a big truck... I looked and they have their Black Rhino line but do not list weights, might be worth a call to check, the 18X8-inch wheels I have on my VW weight only 17-pounds...

Look at Centerline rotary forged wheels they are very strong and very light and available in a ton of styles, sizes and backspacing. Also TSW makes some very nice and lightweight wheels but I don't know if they have anything for a big truck... I looked and they have their Black Rhino line but do not list weights, might be worth a call to check, the 18X8-inch wheels I have on my VW weight only 17-pounds...

Thats something for me to look into... Thanks

No prob. I have Centerline wheels on my Tahoe and TSW wheels on the TDI and I really like them both they are very light weight, yet strong and good performing wheels!!!

On my Duramax truck I went the other way with KMC Enduro Beadlock racing wheels that are HEAVY at around 40-pounds each, but they are a true beadlock wheel and will hold up to the abuse of desert racing if we ever get the truck finished and are able to make it out to a race or two like we want to!!!

Method Race Wheels is another one to check out, they make both race and street wheels...

When looking for lightweight wheels look for Forged wheels as they are much lighter strength for strength than cast wheels!!!

Last edited:
No prob. I have Centerline wheels on my Tahoe and TSW wheels on the TDI and I really like them both they are very light weight, yet strong and good performing wheels!!!

On my Duramax truck I went the other way with KMC Enduro Beadlock racing wheels that are HEAVY at around 40-pounds each, but they are a true beadlock wheel and will hold up to the abuse of desert racing if we ever get the truck finished and are able to make it out to a race or two like we want to!!!

Yeh, you need that bead lock doing that kind of racing for sure..

On the cheaper side, MRW wheel will make light weight steel wheels in whatever diam and backspace. I've been running a set for while on a mid 6 truck in the eighth without problem.

On the cheaper side, MRW wheel will make light weight steel wheels in whatever diam and backspace. I've been running a set for while on a mid 6 truck in the eighth without problem.

Looking on their website the wheels don't seem all that light at all... Maybe I was looking at the wrong ones, but typically when I see MRW they are on rock crawlers and rock racers and they are not at all concerned with wheel weight, in fact most of them add weight with water or lead shot to the tires...

I put 2nd gen brakes on my 3rd gen today. You'll have about $400 in parts to do it, but it's a lot cleaner than a grind job. You have to go through all of the same steps to grind the calipers anyway. Might as well save some weight on the rotors while you're at it. You could cover some of your costs by selling parts to a guy that wants to upgrade his second gen, or better yet, find a guy with an 2000-2002 that is willing to trade parts.

Factory 3rd gen forged wheels are 25-26lbs. I have 16x10 weld renegades that are 22lbs.

Last edited:
I put 2nd gen brakes on my 3rd gen today. You'll have about $400 in parts to do it, but it's a lot cleaner than a grind job. You have to go through all of the same steps to grind the calipers anyway. Might as well save some weight on the rotors while you're at it. You could cover some of your costs by selling parts to a guy that wants to upgrade his second gen, or better yet, find a guy with an 2000-2002 that is willing to trade parts.

Factory 3rd gen forged wheels are 25-26lbs. I have 16x10 weld renegades that are 22lbs.

The rear stuff just bolts on too?

Over on mcrats site folks are claiming 20" BMF wheels are weighing at 56lbs WITH the tire mounted!!

Thats same as what others said their 16" PYOs w/ 265 proxis weigh.

Method wheels may be an avenue to check.

Mickey Classic II are 24# for 17x9 & 26# for 18x10. FWIW

Back