Looking for some info on 2004 TDI

B00ST00

I've just started looking into TDI's and realize I have a lot to learn on the subject. From what i've been reading it appears pre 03 models are the most sought after for mileage and repairs. Can anyone give me insight on the 04 models and tell me if this car is a decent deal or not?

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDi Wagon For Sale

I have not looked at it in person but it doest have all the creature comforts id like to have. Im interested in the wagon because of the extra room. What should I expect for fuel mileage @ 80mph? I would not be against adding tuning if it would increase mileage and im not looking to build a race car, just something for trips and possible commuting if I change jobs. Thank you for any help!

If you do all your own wrenching, it's a very nice car. If you don't do your own, your wallet will hate it.

B5.5 passat's have 3 main issues;
-Chain driven balance shaft assembly
-Camshaft ground wrong from factory
-TQ converter clutches are weak

Now having said all that, if you do you own work you'll spend about $1500 in parts and have a great car. If you have to pay for labor, you'll be in over $3.5k easy.

Do a balance shaft delete ($250 in parts), Colt Cams camshaft ($850 with lifters and bearings), put in a timing belt kit while it's all apart ($185), and have your converter rebuilt by Eriksson Industries ($250). To do those 3 things all at once, it's far easier to pull the motor/trans out as one. Then you can do the balance shaft delete and cam job on an engine stand.

Toss in an ecu tune and egr delete and you have a very peppy 40+mpg comfy cruiser that has a surprising amount of balls (170hp/325tq). I really miss my 05 passat, going to have to find another one of these days.

Thanks a lot for the information. I will keep an eye for a better deal knowing what I will have to put into it. Thanks again!

Back