Looking tires for road racing!

AsTroSS

problems start @80 psi
I am looking tire options for my hotrod truck build (2wd)

What might be the best tire for street use and roadrace/dragrace.

The tire overall diameter should be appprx 35 inch and for 20 inch tire.

With tire diameter I can go as low 33 inch and wheel diameter 18 inch, but 35-20 is my first choice.

Nitto?

Geral Grabbber DOT

Yokohama?

I'd look at nitto terras. Probably lowest price and best performance. But I also have no experience with the other 2 so......I know the generals were looking kinda spendy from what I saw. I have a little set of nittos I use for drag racing and they stick to the road ver well.

Toyo at's have good speed ratings and are available in a buttload of sizes again spendy.

What road racing are you looking at?

Drag and road race are totally different tires. Your going to be asking a lot out of road race tires on a heavy truck, brakes would even be worse. You need to loose a lot of weight and move the engine to about the middle of the truck.

Nitto NT-01 and Toyo RA1 tires are DOT and pretty sticky. I don't know what the weight ratings are on them.

Tobin

Drag and road race are totally different tires. Your going to be asking a lot out of road race tires on a heavy truck, brakes would even be worse. You need to loose a lot of weight and move the engine to about the middle of the truck.

Nitto NT-01 and Toyo RA1 tires are DOT and pretty sticky. I don't know what the weight ratings are on them.

Tobin

The truck build thread is here : http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104967

The engine will be mover as back as possible and the weight shold not be the issue and front brakes will be 15 inch

Road racing- mostly street racing and some track days

Because its 2wd I need good traction

Last edited:
The truck build thread is here : http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104967

The engine will be mover as back as possible and the weight shold not be the issue and front brakes will be 15 inch

Road racing- mostly street racing and some track days

Because its 2wd I need good traction

When you talk of road racing, are you talking about racing on the street or a open track day (twisty turny stuff)? Track stuff will require totally different brakes than hot rodding around on the street.

You will need good pads, and expect to eat through pads and rotors rather quick. Your tires will also get eaten up a lot with that much weight. Running 3000# Mustangs eat up tires pretty good, I am sure that truck is going to be over 4000#.

You will also want to upgrade your springs and matching dampeners to go with your spring rate.

I don't think forward traction will be your enemy, but stopping and probably a lot of under steer is what you will have to work on.

My $0.02

Tobin

You're insane..... i thought i was bad racing a Jeep just to be a ball breaker....

That truck is fugly...

If you can get it light enough you may have positive issues, but racing a jeep that is probably lighter than a 1500, i kill breaks

Those F-1 trucks have water cooling for the brakes and rotors...
Depending how you drive or how competitive you want to be, braking is gonna be a issue like Tobin stated...

Back