Loooking to build a twin turbo 600hp D.D. and tow rig.

stimo

cnc machinist/programmer
I recently de-tuned my truck by ditching my monster pump and injectors for sovp and some 100 hp injectors. I'm regretting it now with the loss of power it sucks. I have a 01 now that I'm going to use for the build. Main reason is the 99 is just getting in rough shape and not looking to put money into it to fix it up and it was just a play toy anyways. Basically just keeping the 99 for parts for the 01. Hopefully all the performace parts are interchangeable. I would like to use my bd special for the twin build but not sure it will work for what I want. I also looking at F1 mach 5 injectors for the build. As for twins I really have no idea. I want quick spool 600hp that can dd and tow. Also planning on just running the sovp also.

What ideas do you all have for turbo and injector combo's?

Since I'm not real diesel knowledgeable but I sure want to learn but time is a big factor I have very little of that. Slightly off topic but if I can make 650hp on my single bd super b special then why can't I use a smaller turbo to spool the special for a twin combo that would get me in the 600 range. Sorry if it's a stupid question I just don't understand why it would'nt work. Maybe it will but just by reading some other post it does not sound like it can happen.

The special is just too small to use a primary turbo. The two turbos will be too closely matched to work well.

If I was you, and I've been debating this for a long time, I would run the tuning of your choice (mine is ADR), 240+ injectors, and a s300g/s475 twin setup. S300g is a 57/65/14 and is a quick spooling SOB.

That is what I would do, but I'm sure others will chime in.

I really don't think 240HP injectors are needed at all. I would go with an S300g over a 71or 75mm S400 and mach 5's or 6's.

We have a customer that made 602HP on a S300 64mm/71 over a S400 with DDP 250HP Competition Nozzles and Edge Comp. He still daily drives and tows his wifes horses.

Attachments

• Mikes Turbos.jpg
    Mikes Turbos.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 230
Thats on the black and green 01 right? I though he was only running a 62 up top. That special over a s475 or ideally an s480 would be a great set up for 600hp. I don't think that a 240 or 250hp injector is really necessary to reach the 600hp mark. I would keep looking at the mach 5's if I were you.

There are a couple reasons that the 64 won't work as a primary for your set up. Mainly, since compounds operate the turbos at a lower PR the flow is decreased. If you could get the 64 to push nearly 40psi in the intermediate pipe between the 2 chargers, you could probably get it to work, but I don't see that happening to be honest. Also, the exhaust side will be very restrictive, although you can address that with different exhaust housings. With all of that said, s475's are cheap enough that it is worth it to just buy one and be done with it.
Sean

yeah it's my truck. It is a 62 on top. Tows and daily drives well. Best investment was the built trans. Have seen over 22mpg on road trips and I don't drive easy.

yeah it's my truck. It is a 62 on top. Tows and daily drives well. Best investment was the built trans. Have seen over 22mpg on road trips and I don't drive easy.

Wow thats really impressive! I dont think i have seen or heard about anyone around here with even a 500hp vp truck.

You cant tow with 600hp. Your cooling system cant take the heat for that long even if you exhaust temps stay below 1200. I had a tow setup that consisted of a 62-65 .80 over a gt4202 with a external gate. Ask Ron A how it towed. My valet setting dynoed 435 hp and full fuel was 668hp.

The towing part is not a real big deal. I just tow maybe once a month if I have time to take my play truck out for some fun. So hopefully I can build the truck to handle that and be around 600.

I just Dyno 572/1264 with a HO pump and I tow all the time. 62/65-12 over a S475 with a 50mm External gate to help out. Normally have my Edge on 3x3 and Smarty on SW6 when I tow. Guess every truck is different but a manual is nice cause you don't build as much heat towing I guess. When I was running 150hp injectors I was seeing around 21mpg but since the 240hp sticks have been in it dropped to around 17 and 13 towing. Its hard to keep my foot outta it on the hills with the trailer cause it just wants to go fast

Don't listen to these guys you can tow easily with a 600HP VP truck, just not at 600HP. That is about the only thing I miss about the VP44 is the ability to go from 600HP at the track down to 400-450 for the drive home. Towed with mine plenty of times and still do with a P-pump and S471 as a single.

Don't listen to these guys you can tow easily with a 600HP VP truck, just not at 600HP. That is about the only thing I miss about the VP44 is the ability to go from 600HP at the track down to 400-450 for the drive home. Towed with mine plenty of times and still do with a P-pump and S471 as a single.

Yes, you can tow with a 600hp setup, but the cooling system is only good for about 450hp...unless your towing is a single axle trailer with a dirtbike on it.

Mine is 28K+ lbs GVW...450hp would get the coolant fairly warm on the hot days around here.

Chris

WOW thats got to be laggy.:st:

It wasn't as bad as you would think. As long as you take off like a regular person and keep the RPM's over 1800-1900 it pulls fine. EGT's are very reasonable. I think it would do a little better with smaller injectors though as these comps will get dirty in a hurry while pulling of I'm not careful.

Yes, you can tow with a 600hp setup, but the cooling system is only good for about 450hp...unless your towing is a single axle trailer with a dirtbike on it.

Mine is 28K+ lbs GVW...450hp would get the coolant fairly warm on the hot days around here.

Chris

Chris, that's why I am saying he could get away with it. As far as VP trucks go there is a big difference in 600 peak HP and towing with 600HP. As far as mine goes I am not saying I could pull the moon down the highway on a lowboy with it just Saying I have towed with it. It wasn't a lot. Just a tandem axle GN with some 2x12 stacked a few feet high and a house full of a buddy and his families stuff. Coolant temps stayed right at 190* or just a little above. I honestley have no clue where I sit HP wise right now it may not even be close to 600HP, just trying to share my towing experience. I know I was at 600 before and could tow the backoe around on the same GN trailer just fine with the box turned down though.

Right...I know you turn the box down, but I just wanted to make sure the OP knew that a 600hp towrig wouldn't be very happy on a long hard pull...450hp, sure will though.

Heck, I'm getting ready to setup a ISB275 in my FL80 to about 400-450hp to tow in excess of 50K lbs GVW, and I know it'll be fine:D:D

Chris

Back