LOOOOONG idles..

I can not see why letting a diesel idle would hurt it. My truck idles all the time @ job sites. Even thou its a PSD. I have a CAT in my Pete and it idles for hours on end.

We have a pair of 480CE Cummins in the boat and they idle for 10 hours at a time fishing. And they are top-notch.

c-hawk said:
I don't know for sure on the 6.7, but on the 5.9 it has to be enabled. They won't do it right off the lot. You would have to get the dealer to enable it, or use a downloader that can turn the feature on, so to speak.

The reason i suggested it should work for chase is because he had a smarty in at one point, and smarty, even when returned to stock software will leave this factory feature enabled.

Chris

OK, gotcha.....thanks

mikehalseyjr said:
I can not see why letting a diesel idle would hurt it. My truck idles all the time @ job sites. Even thou its a PSD. I have a CAT in my Pete and it idles for hours on end.

We have a pair of 480CE Cummins in the boat and they idle for 10 hours at a time fishing. And they are top-notch.

I was talking to a tech from Manuel Dodge a couple months ago about this very problem. From my understanding, Cummins changed a whole bunch of tuning crap to get the idle so quite. Extended periods of idle will gunk up the injectors because it isn't clearing the fuel out of the tips.

Other diesels, Like Power Strokes, Cat and larger Cummins don't take the same idle route and don't have the issue. As some of the guys in here said, set the parking brake, and then use the cruise control up idle up to 1,000. You should be fine there. If you truck doesn’t do it, take it to the dealer and get it reflashed.

I was always told it leads to wet-stacking and washing the cylinders? Big rigs keep the egts up to keep a good burn while idling. As long as you can stay above 400 or so it should be okay, at least that's what I've always been told.

my 03 wont high idle on its own :-( is there any cheap way I can get around that so it will?

You should be able to go down to the dealer and have them reflash it. Let them know your truck sees extended periods of idle.

From experience prolonged idleing is BAD... We had a truck drop a valve and destroy the #6 cylinder. Service tech said it was because all the idling (our trucks would idle 18+ hours at a time. You can have the computer reflashed for the high idle option. Not all vehicles have it.

DieselMissy04 said:
my 03 wont high idle on its own :-( is there any cheap way I can get around that so it will?

a brick.......:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Digger_717 said:
a brick.......:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

i actually use my cane, lil seat adjustment and it fit's perfectly, then pass out in the passengers seat since it seems to me to lean back farther, or crawl in the back seat...

Back