Lost 5th gear

Ram12vcummins

Well driving home today and let off the throttle and slowed for a railway crossing an went to apply throttle an truck revved. Lost 5th gear. No bang or noise just no gear. Am I dropping the trans? What's the best fix for a stock powered truck? I just had the trans opened up for new input shaft and some other wearable items about a year an bit ago.

Well driving home today and let off the throttle and slowed for a railway crossing an went to apply throttle an truck revved. Lost 5th gear. No bang or noise just no gear. Am I dropping the trans? What's the best fix for a stock powered truck? I just had the trans opened up for new input shaft and some other wearable items about a year an bit ago.

Pull the transfer case and the tail housing on the trans and it's right there man.buy a updated nut. Clean the shaft extremely well use plenty of loctite and reassemble.

Having to drive an hour to get home. Is this gonna damage anything? I also see a 5th gear nut retainer for $200 ish on eBay. This a worth while piece? How are the guys getting the torque on these things? Punch and hammer tightening it down?

Having to drive an hour to get home. Is this gonna damage anything? I also see a 5th gear nut retainer for $200 ish on eBay. This a worth while piece? How are the guys getting the torque on these things? Punch and hammer tightening it down?

I bought a tool from quad 4x4 for the nut. That splined retainer seems to me working well on mine so far. Won't hurt a darn thing with only 4 gears.

I drove mine for about a week because I had to in my old work truck until I had the time to install the upgrade nut without any problems.

I bought a tool from quad 4x4 for the nut. That splined retainer seems to me working well on mine so far. Won't hurt a darn thing with only 4 gears.

Where did you get the splined retainer but from? How do you get the torque on the but without spinning the motor over?

I drove mine for about a week because I had to in my old work truck until I had the time to install the upgrade nut without any problems.

That's good news. I won't tear into anything until I have an upgraded nut and the splined retainer in hand then. I've done all the seals an ch*t when I had trans out a year ago but should I be buying any gaskets?

Where did you get the splined retainer but from? How do you get the torque on the but without spinning the motor over?

That's good news. I won't tear into anything until I have an upgraded nut and the splined retainer in hand then. I've done all the seals an ch*t when I had trans out a year ago but should I be buying any gaskets?

Put it in two gears at one time and it can't move., can't remember where I got the spline retainer. Somewhere in Colorado

How do you get the torque on the but without spinning the motor

There's two tools that are used. One is the wrench that goes onto the nut. It's like a spanner wrench that a 1/2" drive ratchet fits into and the other is a 1/2" drive socket that splines onto the output shaft.
I've also heard good things about the splined retainers. And driving it won't hurt anything. A buddy drove his 4 hrs home towing a trailer last time he lost 5th. We rebuilt his Trans with an updated shaft and it's been good for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it in two gears at one time and it can't move., can't remember where I got the spline retainer. Somewhere in Colorado

Curious how I do that? I would assume is have to remove the shift tower?

There's two tools that are used. One is the wrench that goes onto the nut. It's like a spanner wrench that a 1/2" drive ratchet fits into and the other is a 1/2" drive socket that splines onto the output shaft.
I've also heard good things about the splined retainers. And driving it won't hurt anything. A buddy drove his 4 hrs home towing a trailer last time he lost 5th. We rebuilt his Trans with an updated shaft and it's been good for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is good news. I'll do some searching later tonight when I get time to find the tools and cheapest option for that retainer.

I appreciate the help guys I'll look for the tools and see what I can find. I'd prefer not to remove the shift tower.

Its super easy to pull it. If its a 97 and older, its just a retainer you push down and rotate CCW to release. If its a 98 and newer, its four bolts.

You won't need any gaskets or seals. Drain the fluid out to save it, and use RTV to put the rear housing back on.

If you're handy and have a welder, you can make your own socket out of a piece of pipe, some 1/4" key stock and an old 1/2" drive socket.

Looking at the price of the spline socket I think pulling the tower is looking more appealingly with upgraded but an spline retainer is gonna cost me 2-250 already.

I think torque spec is 260ftlbs? Correct me if I'm wrong. As far as holding the shafts, obviously the proper tools are best. But, you can get by with a red shop towel folded over a few times fed in between the two gears. The only downside is you will need to clean the pieces of rag off of the teeth when you're done.

No more 5th gear threads comp d. I lost 5th today too. Mine is a little different than your I'm betting

Attachments

• 20160304_165542.jpg
    20160304_165542.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
Back