Lots of blow by...

stackx2

A friend (not really) came over and had enough blow by to pop the oil fill cap off so we pulled the head and found #1 piston had a grove up the side of it. He said that the truck was running fine one day and the next it kept blowing the cap off. What might have caused this? The truck has new reman injectors, mp8, smarty on level 9 and 50/50 water meth all on a stock turbo. I think that his drive pressures have to be through the roof. The piston looks like it had a lot of carbon build up on it and maybe started puddling a bit. The trucks got 230k on it and pulls HEAVY every day. He said that he didn't get on it hard at all. But who knows.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370459640324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370459640324.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks like the piston has gotten a little hot but I wouls say it looks like it broke a ring.

I'm guessing the piston ring didn't like the Smarty on level 9, the water meth mix ratio, and pulling heavy loads on a regular basis.

X2 on a broken ring. This was what mine looked like when it was torn apart last week. Broken ring on #6

Attachments

• 7871_10200384072898435_602048080_n.jpg
    7871_10200384072898435_602048080_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
Brings back bad memorys! Check the top of the cyl for a ridge, mine had a pretty bad ridge where the rest of the ring was riding

Ya I told him its probably not good with every he had going. Every cylinder is wore pretty bad. He has more of daddy's money than brains. He said he thought it happened because he had to much fuel in the intake:screwy:Lol. I guess he's going to just buy a reman from dodge rather than rebuild it. I wish I could afford that.

Not a call out or trying to start a fight. Mods- if I need to edit this I will. Jut wanted to... correct a few items.

I'm burned... Not feeling the love man! I get a (not really)... You want to go talking trash, I'm right across town. Or you can call me.

Who pays for it? I'm writing that check to your dad for the work, and the cost of parts/ motor. Thanks for the help the other day, I do appreciated it. Super bummer trying to figure if it's a motor and I'll take all the opions from guys that know more on these than I do. I'm more of a construction business worker than a good wrench. That's why I hire your dad. You want to bring daddy into this, your dad doing the work.

As for brains, you got me there. If I had left the truck stock, I'd have more money. So would you and most all guys here. ;)

The Smarty was on 5, not 9. I went to 5 as soon as it gets warm. I ran 7 through the winter. I quit using 9 when I loaded REVO before I added the W/M or the MP-8. The RP was not stacked. RP on the Smarty was at stock, MP-8 from 50-100%. RP never got over 25,000 psi on the gauge.

The injectors are DDP are 50 HP. Not stock remans.

The water meth is running best with two gallons of meth to three gallons of water. Not 50/50. Using one 625 in the plenum and three 100s spread in the intake manifold.

Truck was not ran hot or heavy for the last 600 miles. Lots of driving out doing estimates, job walks, and on site getting projects rolling. Never got in the throttle during that time. Never got hot and the W/M was not used. I tend to watch the pyro more than the speedo. This is why all of my other trucks are stock. Employees are not very good at watching temps. Started the truck Monday morning and it felt like a huge miss. Rest is in the above picture.

Not sure if my sig here works, so I'll repost it here. Thanks for any help or advise with (re)setting this truck up. Bummer to have my truck down. Hope to get it up quick.

05 DRW 4x4 CC. High Gear NV5600. PTO cool. SDD3250. Smarty SW7 TQ3 TM3 RP0. MP-8. Fass 95. DDP 50hp. Snow Tow-Max. BHAF. 5" stacks. (8) gauges. Air bags. B&W turnover. Pac Brake.

PopMFcorn

Personal opinion, looks like el busto ringo to me though.
Stay away from meth. Wa-wa only. And never go 100% on an MP8. $.02

Also, being modest and honest will get you points on the CompDizzle.

Last edited:
Well I never talk smack and the one time I do I get nailed. There are things I here you say and do that just get to me sometimes and really bug me. I am truly sorry for posting anything stupid. I never do and never should. You and your family have helped me out a lot and I am greatfull for that. Again I shouldn't have made that last post but what's done Is done

I think the first four words of this thread just came true

Looks like mine when we tore it apart Monday...cracked rings on all 6 holes. The truck ran excellent, just had blow by, not even enough to blow the fill cap off or slobber oil under the truck.

Let the fun begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA138EDA-8EB0-4C03-942B-579568CEA2BF-586-0000012303EE198F_zps7129656c.jpg

I TOLD YOU IT WAS ON LEVEL 5!

41187F89-5D05-418E-98DB-CF08716FCE30-586-00000123AF8C6587_zps0b0095de.jpg

Does this mean we're friends (but not really)?

You two crack me up.

PopMFcorn

Personal opinion, looks like el busto ringo to me though.
Stay away from meth. Wa-wa only. And never go 100% on an MP8. $.02

Also, being modest and honest will get you points on the CompDizzle.

FYI on what I found on my truck. The Smarty set on RP-1 (and MP-8 at 0%) will run the rail pressure higher than the MP-8 at 100%. Using the MP-8 at max, I got less smoke, less pressure across the board (bored?... whatever) on the gauge, less EGT heat everywhere, and smoother throttle. The Smarty rail pressure programming was too agrassive of a tune in any setting besides stock. That's why I was NOT stacking them and setting the Smarty at RP-0 (stock) and using the MP-8 only.

But WTH do I know... It's my truck getting the motor. ;) [ouch!]

Nope, felt like that for a while.

It still doesn't give me the right to do what I did.

I fart in your general direction...

why o why do you have all that fuel and still on a stock turbo? to each his own i guess.

Back