loud howling

strictlysmoke

i have a 2002 7.3 and it seems that the problem is getting worse. my turbo makes a loud howling noise. it doesnt do it all the time only happens after i have been driving on the highway for a while or if i slowed down and quickly sped back up. i have taken to the dealer in the past and they have no clue what it could be. i do have the banks turbo upgrade on there but i dont think that its causing the problem. does anyone have any ideas what i could be?

i havent checked the pipes at all. i bought all new stuff from banks (power pack) 7 years ago and it hasnt crossed my mind that they could be cracked. but anything is possible. now if it was the wheel it, it would be doing it all the time, i think.

Check the bellows portion of the pipe for soot. My 6.0 was doing this before I had the passanger side up pipe replaced when I did the EGR delete.

i doubt its the wheel but u might pull ur intake off and check the wheel for play and see if there is any metal shaved off the wheel.

My turbo was howling on my cummins when I blew the thrust washer. The compressor wheel rubbs the housing and causes the noise. Also tried to rebuild a friends turbo on a 2001 powerstroke and found the shaft broke and tuned the turbine wheel sideways and the compressor wheel rubbed the housing. check for back and forth play from compressor side to turbine side.

Back