Loud knock and lots of smoke, raw fuel

Goalie990

The truck started stumbling and progressively got worse as I drove home. The truck then started to knock. The truck has been hazing a lot but the injectors are 5x16 and was told they were just hazing. I just bought this truck like 5 days ago, im kinda bummed out, i babied the truck and the fuel plate and afc are all the way forward cuz i didnt ever want to get on it till i got studs. I got ripped off. What could it be, it sounds like its all on the top end.

Thanks,

Raw fuel smell and white smoke I would check to see if the timing slipped. Just a thought. Good luck getting it sorted

no internal problems?? Timing would make it knock?

It depends how long you drove it like that, if you kept going it can wash out the cyl wall. Yes timing can make it knock, but I would lean towards injector problems 99%. Pull the injectors, check and make sure the nozzles arent cracked, if not, have them pop tested and go from there. You may just have a cracked nozzle, they will most likely crack from hole to hole. If your really cheap, loosen the exhaust manifold, start the truck, and see which port the smoke is coming from, that will be your bad cyl or injector.

mine started as an injector mess up but turned into a melted piston best thing i could say to do is pull all the injectors and inspect them real good and if any looked damaged pull the head. If not have them tested and put em back in. i found out the hard way laziness cost me a motor..

i cracked all the lines and the number 3 injector is the only one that didnt make the idle change, it blew out smoke not fuel. Its been hazing a lot but i only drove about 1 min when in was knocking. Does an injector somewhat stick then fully stick open? Feels like it got progressively worse..

I would try another set of injectors if you can get your hands on them. If it is still running rough I would start to look a little deeper. I always say start with what is simplest and go from there.

BTW how WERE you liking the 99 with the 12v in it?

Rick

I'll bet there is no internal damage if you just ran it for a minute or two. Sounds like a cracked injector that progressively cracked more and more.

Pull the #3 injector and clean it up and inspect it carefully.

i cracked all the lines and the number 3 injector is the only one that didnt make the idle change, it blew out smoke not fuel. Its been hazing a lot but i only drove about 1 min when in was knocking. Does an injector somewhat stick then fully stick open? Feels like it got progressively worse..

Smoke came out the injector?

i got all the stuff to pull the injector and took off the return line. Anyone know what size the nut or whatever it is at the bottom of the injector is? Its a little bigger job then i thought lol. I didnt think u had to take all the lines off. Hopefully its just cracked. Will JL rebuilt them?

Injector nut is 15/16", injectors arent bad man. IMO Id look into having SDX rebuild them. Their a vendor on here

the hold down nut on the bottom going into the head? Ok i will do that once i get them out. I need to find some to run...

Im selling a set of 5x.018's with .020 lift and .030 stroke for pretty cheap if your interested.

Do NOT let the injector turn in the head as you loosen the hold down nut. U will ruin the head! Hold the injector still with a wrench across the injector flats.

Back