loud ticking noise

farmboy458

when its cold ticks like a s.o.b and power seems to be lacking..fuel pressure good..vp is ok...i thinking its a stuck tappet rounding the cam off? the noise seems to be loudest just in front of the steering wheel witch is why i think its a tappet..valves where just set a few hundred miles ago

I'd recheck the valves just to make sure thats not the problem.

still does it just not as loud..and im gonna pull the cover tommarow night and check clearences and for loose push rods/rockers

Before you adjust the valves remove the rockers on cylinder #1 and check the rocker pivots/bores for gaulding. I had one in the shop a month ago that acted exactly the same as you described. I polished the rocker pivots and rocker bores and it quit the racket.

P.S. In your case ether is not the answer! LOL

Last edited:
Before you adjust the valves remove the rockers on cylinder #1 and check the rocker pivots/bores for gaulding. I had one in the shop a month ago that acted exactly the same as you described. I polished the rocker pivots and rocker bores and it quit the racket.

P.S. In your case ether is not the answer! LOL

you mean just hit them with some sand paper? to take an edge down? sorry dont understand gaulding..

The bottom of the pivot pin where it contacts the inside of the rocker bore does not get proper lubrication so the metal gaulds/scars etc. Use a piece of fine emery cloth to polish everything smooth!

Have you checked all of your exhaust manifold studs, could be an exhaust leak. One of mine fell off at the back of the block, and I had a few that were loose.

Galding is a new one on me, galling is where binding or friction causes material to be transferred from one metallic surface to another. When smoothing it be careful to shape the mating parts as closely to each other as possible and hopefully it won't gall any further.

Last edited:
Have you checked all of your exhaust manifold studs, could be an exhaust leak. One of mine fell off at the back of the block, and I had a few that were loose.

exhuat manifold is cracked but its so loud to the left of the steering wheel thats where i thought it was comming from....maybe im just hearing threw the vents?

Galding is a new one on me, galling is where binding or friction causes material to be transferred from one metallic surface to another. When smoothing it be careful to shape the mating parts as closely to each other as possible and hopefully it won't gall any further.

Misspelled! Same idea.

Back