Love/Hate Relationship: Drop lights

BramanteCummins

ADD maniac
I'm sick of buying a light praying it'll treat me better that the last. Usually I end up blinded by the damn thing no matter what I do, and usually I give it flying lessons or a durability test on the nearest solid object.

What are your favorite drop lights and what ones do you hate?

We've got the NAPA extendable fluorescent ones. I love it.

I use my stream light flash light mostly...super bright. Also have an led Milwaukee 18v light, and if those wont work I have a Cornwell drop light that has a enough padding on it I don't worry about testing the "drop" part of drop light.

I use my stream light flash light mostly...super bright. Also have an led Milwaukee 18v light, and if those wont work I have a Cornwell drop light that has a enough padding on it I don't worry about testing the "drop" part of drop light.

I used to have a nice aluminum battery one, they just run down too fast. Problem with any of the wired ones its youll get it just right and bump the cord then the friggin thing flips over and without fail, blinds you.

I've thinking about the larger sized "mine light". Seems like it'll do ok for when the drop light is too big or clunky.

Yeah...I've go e thru about seven led cordless work lights the problem is I would leave them on a tire or on the engine and buh bye...so I got one with a cord so I would see the cord when I was done working and remember the light. The stream light I have is the rechargeable cost about $150 off any tool truck. The battery will last about 4 hrs continuously but usually a whole shift without having it go dead.

wit til the bastard is hanging above you and falls on yer face right after ya got that trans sitting on yer chest..

never realized how little those trannys wieght til about 2 sec of that aluminum hsg sitting on yer forhead.

yeah..it happened...it hurt..it was ugly..no the trans didnt get dropped

The older guys at work love the old school with the regular light bulb type, you know, the ones that burn your flesh off to the bone if you even think about touching it!

I have a snap-on under hood cordless, love it other than the fact it has a pretty short battery life

Never dropped one on my face lol...come close a few times though...I've had every type of drop light, none of them will take the abuse of falling off the top of a trailer. Many rolls of electrical tape and even had one for a while that was so broke to turn it on had to twist 2 wires together...

Cornwell has or had one with a remote ballast and a well padded bulb, Ive had mine for probably 5 year without issue.

One nice tip, go get yourself some cheap spring clamps from china freight. Use them to tie the cord up out of your way.

I have the Snap On light bar that clamps to the hood. For everything else, I use my little pen Streamlight.

Sent from my paperweight

ive got a flouro now..dont get hot..not as bright tho and the lens got cloudy..but it dont get hottt

I've started using a led headlamp. Don't have to drag the drop light with you everytime you move and the headlamp points towards where your looking. Also got one of the light bars that hang from your hood.

i use the old school corded kind.. Just get a curdly flourescent do it doesn't burn..
During the winter i put a halogen bulb in it for heat as well..

We have several Blue Point LED under hood lights that are cordless and work great for almost any job.

Not sure what I hate more right now, the duramax or this damn light...

anunynun.jpg

This is, WAS, my favorite drop light. Never seemed to be in your eyes and usually stayed where you put it... My brother decided it looked a lot like the light bike things from TRON and tried taking it apart. Twas a goner. Might buy another soon.

ze6equ6u.jpg

Back