low volts and overheat

Ph4tty

I'm nobody
I've got something funky going on. Started the truck cold and drove it around three miles and I get some dead pedal and surging. Around a mile later as I'm pulling into the drive the water guage shoots to 200. There were a 1/2 dozen codes and all say low voltage to several sensors including the TPS and power cut due to overheat. I had ordered an alternator, but I had mine tested and its working fine.

What should I be looking for at this point?

Doesn't matter, get them tested to be sure, if one goes bad it will drag the other down. Also, when was the last time you cleaned the battery connectors? Baking soda and water will do wonders, as will some baking soda mixed with vaseline and smeared on everything.

Also on the overheat make sure your radiator area is clean and free of oil and debris

I've got something funky going on. Started the truck cold and drove it around three miles and I get some dead pedal and surging. Around a mile later as I'm pulling into the drive the water guage shoots to 200. There were a 1/2 dozen codes and all say low voltage to several sensors including the TPS and power cut due to overheat. I had ordered an alternator, but I had mine tested and its working fine.

What should I be looking for at this point?

You might also want to check and clean all the grounds in the engine compartment. A bad ground will do the weirdest things to the electronics ...
mishkaya

Also on the overheat make sure your radiator area is clean and free of oil and debris

There's no way the truck actually overheated in three or four miles of flat lands from a cold start- this is just a result of the electrical problem. Coolant and oil look fine. The radiator looks pretty much clean.

Batteries tested good. The codes that are coming up now are low voltage to the TPS and high voltage to the aux 5v. I guess the TPS is next? The truck will basically idle down the road and surge like crazy any time I give it any throttle.

come on guys

New TPS/apps and no change. Pressing the accelerator causes violent surges through the rpms and I'm still getting a low tps voltage code. I've been without a truck all week and I'm hoping someone will chime in with some advice before I have to get my truck towed.

Batteries- check ok
Alternator- check ok
TPS/APPS- new and getting plenty of voltage at PCM
grounds- sanded and painted all of these last year

What's left: ecm, pcm, vp44? Sounds like some $$ =(

PM Bob Wagner for a PCM. It sounds like a voltage regulator problem.

Bob is sending a PCM and I'll update the thread when I see what happens.

it was the ecm

PCM didn't work out so I've got a spare if someone needs one. Bob helped hook me up an ECM and Timmy Barber gave me some basic instructions to help the mechanically retarded and,... my truck is running better than ever =)

On a side note I believe the new TPS I put in cured the low rpm chugging I used to get =)

Back